- Mikel Obi has been rated as the richest African player at the moment
- The former Super Eagles star is topping the likes of Sadio Mane and Salah
- Former Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor is occupying second on the list
Former Super Eagles captain Mikel Obi who won the Nations Cup title with the national team has emerged as the richest African footballer at the moment according to his net worth of $45 million.
The Nigerian superstar made so much money while playing in the Premier League with Chelsea where he won the Premier League, FA Cup, and Champions League with the Blues.
Before Mikel even joined Chelsea, he was unveiled by rivals Manchester United, but the Nigerian eventually made move to Stamford Bridge claiming he signed for the Red Devils under duress.
After leaving Chelsea in 2017, Mikel Obi moved to the Chinese Super League where he made millions before he left the side.
According to the report on Nigeriainfo, Mikel Obi is rated as the richest African player despite not currently playing in the Premier League.
The Stoke City star is topping the likes of Arsenal captain Aubameyang, Emmanuel Adebayor, Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah of Liverpool.
See the list below according to the report.
1. Mikel Obi with $45 million
2. Emmanuel Adebayor with $25 million
3. Asamoah Gyan with $23 million
4. Mohamed Salah with $22.1 million
5. Aubameyang with $15 million
6. Seydou Keita with $10 million
7. Kalidou Koulibaly with $10 million
8. Sadio Mane with $8 million
9. Riyad Mahrez with $8 million
10 Wilfried Zaha with $4 million
Earlier, Legit.ng had reported how Super Eagles legends recently had a glorious reunion at the Government House in Lokoja when they visited Governor Yahaya Bello of Kogi state who was happy to see the former internationals.
The former Super Eagles stars who visited Governor Yahaya Bello are Austin Okocha, Victor Ikpeba, Tijani Babangida, Ifeanyi Udeze, Taribo West and Augustine Eguavoen.
These Super Eagles legends were great players during their active playing days as the likes of Okocha and Ikpeba need no introduction to football followers considering what they did on the pitch.
Governor Yahaya Bello was in joyous mood to welcome these former internationals and he decided to show them his little football skills.
Ibitoye Shittu is an award winning Sports Journalist with more than 10 years experience in News-writing, reporting and Public Relation. He is an HND and B.SC holder of Mass Communication and can be reached on Twitter @Ibishittu