- Lionel Messi has finally agreed to remain at Barcelona after two weeks of battle
- The Argentine admits it was brutal drama when he told his family he wanted to leave
- Messi added that he wont imagine himself and Barcelona in court - that the club made him
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
Lionel Messi who has just agreed to stay at Barcelona has expressed emotions after what would be described as a ‘manic two weeks’ regarding his future.
Barcelona fans can now heave a huge sigh of relief after their captain confirms he will continue at the club next season.
The 33-year-old who handed-in his transfer request at the club has been linked with a move away from Camp Nou with Manchester City tipped as possible destination for the forward.
Ronaldo Delima tops list of highest goalscorers at 21 for club and country (see where Messi and Ronaldo are)
Inter Milan, Manchester United and a few other clubs also showed interest in the Argentine who has now decided to commit another season to the Catalan club
The Argentine broke silence in an exclusive chat with GOAL on Friday, September 4, after Barcelona insist €700million release clause remains in his contract and should he go ahead to sign for another club, he and that team would be dragged to court.
He has agreed to stay at with the Blaugrana at least until the end of his contract which lapses at the end of the 2020/2021 season.
Here are 7 statements Lionel Messi made to GOAL as he agrees to stay with the Catalan giants.
1. I thought and was sure that I was free to leave. The president always said that at the end of the season I could decide if I stayed or not. And this is the reason why I am going to continue in the club.
2. Now I am going to continue in the club because the president told me that the only way to leave was to pay the €700million clause, and that this is impossible.
3. They cling to the fact that I did not say it before 10 June, when it turns out that on 10 June we were competing for La Liga in the middle of this awful coronavirus and this disease altered all the season.
4. There was another way and it was to go to trial.
5. I would never go to court against Barca because it is the club that I love, which gave me everything since I arrived.
6. It is the club of my life, I have made my life here. I know that it never crossed my mind to take Barca to court.
7. When I communicated my wish to leave to my wife and children, it was a brutal drama. The whole family began crying, my children did not want to leave Barcelona, nor did they want to change schools.
Legit.ng earlier reported that Lionel Messi who grew up in Rosario-Argentina arrived Barcelona at the age of 12 having earlier played for Newells Old Boys back home.
He was a real nightmare to opponents and everyone including his coaches who were stunned by his skills and ability to dribble past older and big-sized players despite his small body size.
How we mistakenly celebrated Yakubu’s miss at 2010 World Cup – Brown Ideye | Legit TV