Enrolment for the National Identification Number (NIN) has virtually become compulsory with the federal government's directive asking telecommunication companies to block SIM cards not linked with the number latest by February 2021.
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
However, apart from its requirement for SIM usage, NIN is also needed for all transactions in the country which requires identity verification and several other things, according to the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC).
Legit.ng lists in this piece other important things NIN is needed for, according to the NIMC:
1. Obtaining your National e-ID card
2. Travel (international passport application & acquisition)
3. Opening personal bank accounts
4. Getting your driver’s license
5. Obtaining your Permanent Voters’ Card
6. Participating in the National Health Insurance Scheme
7. Payment of your taxes
8. Transactions related to your contributory pension schemeNIN: FG gives 3 new conditions for SIM replacement (see list)
9. Access to the welfare and other relevant services from the Nigerian government
10. Transactions with social security implications
11. Land transactions subject to the Land Use Act
PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news update
Meanwhile, Isa Pantami, the minister of communications and digital economy, has approved the development and release of an improved NIN slip and a mobile application that would help in securing it.
The technical assistant, information technology to the ministry, Femi Adeluyi, made this known in a statement issued on the night of Thursday, December 31, 2020, in Abuja.
Legit.ng gathered that Adeluyi said the development was part of the federal government’s policy to improve the process of obtaining NIN and linking it to SIM cards and also aligning with the national digital economy policy for a digital Nigeria.
Similarly, the federal government has given new conditions that telecommunication service subscribers must adhere to in replacing damaged, misplaced, lost, or stolen SIM cards.FG gives fresh details on NIN registration, launches mobile app for securing slip
The new conditions for SIM replacement were disclosed in a joint statement by the Nigerian Communications Commission and the National Identity Management Commission on Friday, January 1.
NIMC: Amidst Covid19 spike, crowd gathers for NIN registration - on Legit TV