- 8000 Boko Haram members have voluntarily surrendered to the Nigerian army
- The army said those who surrendered were in a camp waiting to be "deradicalised"
- The military also rescued 10,000 Boko Haram captives
The Nigerian military said no fewer than 8000 Boko Haram members had voluntarily surrendered to its “Operation Safe Corridor’’ in the North-East.
Speaking on Tuesday, August 16, in Abuja, the director of Defence Information, Brig.-Gen. Rabe Abubakar, said the surrendered insurgents were in a camp in Gombe waiting to be “deradicalised’’ by the military, NAN reports.
He disclosed this at a lecture organised by the FCT Correspondents’ Chapel of the National Union of Journalists (NUJ).
The lecture with the theme, “Media-Military Relationship in the Fight against Insurgency,’’ was part of the activities marking the 2016 Press Week of the chapel.
Abubakar added that more than 10,000 Boko Haram captives had been rescued by the military and some of them had been reunited with their families, while others were taken to Internally Displaced Person’s (IDP) camps.
He said the government was working hard on the rehabilitation of the victims and reconstruction of the affected areas.
According to him, Boko Haram had been successfully decimated by the military.
On the recent action by the military declaring some journalists wanted, Abubakar said the military should be allowed to do its work, urging the media not to allow sentiments to influence their judgment on the issue.
READ ALSO: Boko Haram attack each other
He added that no member of the media would be victimised unnecessarily.
The general added that they would soon launch “Operation Safe Corridor’’ to address the menace of herdsmen across the country and put an end to the wanton killings of innocent people.
For some time, the army has been winning the war against Boko Haram insurgency.
Recently, during their clearance operations in the Northeast zone, soldiers rescued 88 people in Bama local government area of Borno and killed three Boko Haram insurgents.
On Sunday, August 14, 16 Boko Haram fighters were killed during the gun battle at Kangarwa, Borno state.