N450 million sent to Enugu - Chime faults EFCC, ex-aide

N450 million sent to Enugu - Chime faults EFCC, ex-aide

- Former Governor Sullivan Chime of Enugu state is not pleased with how the EFCC is handling the alleged corruption case against him

- The ex-governor is being investigated for his role in the disbursement of N450m allegedly received out of the Diezani cash

- He said the EFCC was just being too loud

Former Governor Sullivan Chime of Enugu state has disclosed how the N450 million sent to Enugu for last year’s national elections was spent.

He said had no idea the money was taken from government coffers, The Guardian reports.

N450 million sent to Enugu - Chime faults EFCC, ex-aide

Governor Sullivan Chime said the N450million was distributed to local government representatives

Chime and his former aides are currently being interrogated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over the spending of N450 million disbursed on the instruction of former petroleum minister, Deiziani Allison Madueke, to Enugu.

READ ALSO: Is it a crime to own property? Diezani fumes over seized $18m mansion by EFCC

The former governor who was invited for questioning by the commission, reported at the Enugu zonal office of the anti-graft agency for the second time on Monday, June 13, to explain his role in the disbursement of the funds.

Prior to his arrival at the commission, Chime explained why he was invited.

He said: “They brought the letter on Tuesday for me to turn up on Wednesday. They came up with issue of N450 million sent to the state Peoples Democratic Party(PDP) for the general election especially state assembly election in line with policy of sponsoring election.

“Prior to that the party had done a well publicized fund raising activity and told everybody they raised N21 billion. So when they brought the N450 million, if anything, we had reason to grumble that we got only N450 million out of N21 billion.”

READ ALSO: Why EFCC freezes bank accounts

According to him, the money was distributed to local government representatives and the balance was paid into campaign organization account and was used subsequently for other elections.

He said he was surprised that the person who did actual disbursement to the party’s representatives in the open at the old government lodge denied having anything to do the with the huge sum.

Unfortunately for reasons best known to her, probably she was scared, in her statement she said she didn’t see the money. It was like joke. Whether she was being mischievous or she did it out of fear or she was asked to do it, nobody knows. Luckily, it wasn’t something she did in camera, she didn’t do it alone, she gave money to people, they are still alive, they will come to say you gave us so much,” the former governor stated.

Chime expressed dissatisfaction with the way the anti-graft agency was handling the matter, saying they were just being too loud.

If there is something you have against somebody, investigate it first. If you feel you have enough to charge the person, then you can make it public,” he said.

READ ALSO: EFCC to arraign Goodluck Jonathan’s aide over N1.6bn fraud

The former governor said he was pained when he was invited for interrogation, his photograph was taken, and then posted on a popular blog. “I found that offensive,” Chime lamented.

Recall that the former governor was grilled by the EFCC last Wednesday, June 8. During the interrogation, he was said to have told detectives that he handed over the money to the secretary of the campaign office, Rita Mba, who was also the state’s commissioner for special Duties and inter-government affairs then.

Chime is second governor in the south east to be grilled by the EFCC in connection with the Diezani bribe money.

Source: Legit.ng

Mailfire view pixel