Embattled Senate president, Bukola Saraki, has revealed that he will appear before the Code of Conduct Tribunal tomorrow Tuesday, September, 22, 2015.
Earlier on Monday, September 21, Saraki for the second time failed to show up at the Code of Conduct Tribunal in Abuja, he was expected to take a simple plea of guilty or not guilty on a 13-count charge of fake declaration of assets.
However, the Senate president has promised to appear before the tribunal on Tuesday, September, 22, following the adjournment for the determination of the motion on notice and the substantive suit before the Federal High Court to 30th of September and the appeal pending before the Court of Appeal adjourned to the 29th of September 2015.
READ ALSO: Saraki’s Case: The “Inside Story” That Nobody Is Talking About
Making the announcement through a statement by his Special Adviser to Senate President on Media and Publicity, Yusuph Olaniyonu, Saraki maintained that he is ready to submit himself to due process of the law on any issue concerning him.
He said he believes that he has an inalienable right to resort to the same judiciary for protection when he feels his fundamental rights are about to be infringed upon.
“The Senate President is a law abiding citizen and his absence from tribunal was based on legal advice he received from his counsel that it is not necessary for him to appear before the tribunal at this stage since the jurisdiction of the tribunal and the process of initiating the matter are being challenged before the Federal High Court Abuja,” the statement said.
“Dr. Saraki has taken the decision to attend the Tribunal sitting to demonstrate his respect for the rule of law in spite of his personal reservation on the process of his trial and the purpose it may be intended to serve.
READ ALSO: CCT Seeks Saraki’s Arrest
“Dr. Saraki wishes to assure Nigerians of his absolute belief in the judicial process and is therefore confident that the course of justice would be served at the end of this matter."