The Federal Government has defended its decision to take over the supervision of constituency projects by individual federal lawmakers, formerly done by the Ministry of Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Affairs, saying it is a presidential directive to ensure proper coordination and supervision.
The government also attributed the delay in the commencement of work on the constituency projects to the supervising ministry, which was still sorting out grey areas before the implementation.
About N30bn had been released for the first quarter out of the N100bn, which was said to have been appropriated for constituency projects this year
The Minister of Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Affairs, Alhaji Kabiru Turaki (SAN), in a statement on Monday in Abuja insisted that fears had to be allayed that the projects might not be executed after all and the gray areas had been sorted out.
He said, “President Goodluck Jonathan does not want the continuation of the situation where the projects are abandoned. He has consequently directed the Ministry of Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Affairs to take over execution of the projects. Nigerians, who want clarification and answers to any issue on constituency projects, will now know where to go and who to hold responsible.”