- Robert Lewandowski is currently leading the goalscorers' charts in Europe's top 5 leagues with 25 goals to his name
- He is expected to face stiff competition from a number of players including Messi, Ronaldo, Lukaku, Salah and Mbappe all who are eyeing the Golden Shoe
- The accolade is awarded to the highest goalscorer across the European leagues
The race for the coveted European Golden Shoe is heating up as the continent's top marksmen eye the prize.
A number of footballers across Europe are already in the mix to cart home the award, with last season's winner and Lazio star, Ciro Immobile, also looking to defend the crown.
The top 10 list has a representative from each of Europe's top five leagues, with familiar names squeezing their way on the charts.
Bayern Munich hitman Robert Lewandowski is currently leading the list with 25 goals, with Eintracht Frankfurt's Andre Silva sitting second with 18 goals to his name.
Despite Liverpool's struggles, Mohamed Salah, who is currently leading the goalscorers' standings in the Premier League completes the top three slots in Europe with 17 goals.
Salah has a goal more than Serie A duo Romelu Lukaku and Cristiano Ronaldo all who have scored 16 goals thus far.
Atletico Madrid ace Luis Suarez has amassed a similar tally that has him top on La Liga list.
Lionel Messi, who is the record Golden Shoe winner with six of the awards in his cabinet has scored 15 goals thus far this season.
The Barca skipper had a relatively slow start to the 2020/21 season but has shown significant improvement in the second.
Below is list of top 10 highest goalscorers in their respective leagues thus far:
1. Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich) - 25 goals
2. Andre Silva (Eintracht Frankfurt) - 18 goals
3. Mohamed Salah (Liverpool) - 17 goals
4. Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus) - 16 goals
5. Romelu Lukaku (Inter) - 16 goals
6. Luis Suarez (Atletico Madrid) - 16 goals
7. Kylian Mbappe (PSG) - 16 goals
8. Lionel Messi (Barcelona) - 15 goals
9. Erling Haaland (Dortmund) - 15 goals
10. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Milan) - 14 goals
10. Bruno Fernandes (Man United) - 14 goals
10. Ciro Immobile (Lazio) - 14 goals
10. Wout Weghorst (Wolfsburg) - 14 goals
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that prolific Nigerian striker Paul Onuachu is in the race to win the European golden boot at the end of this season.
The 26-year-old Super Eagles forward has scored 22 goals in 25 Belgian Pro League games for Genk this campaign.
Though he failed to register a goal in the group stages of the Champion League, the attacker ranks above five-time Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo in the overall list of highest scoring players in all leagues in Europe.