COVID-19: NCDC says January 2021 will be tough for Nigerians

COVID-19: NCDC says January 2021 will be tough for Nigerians

- Nigerians have been told to prepare for a difficult January as the fight against COVID-19 takes a new form

- NCDC says a tough new year is the price Nigerians will pay for failing to adhere to health protocols since the outbreak of the virus

- Minister of state for health said any vaccine to be used by the nation must be approved by NAFDAC before it will be administered

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

Nigerians will have to brace up for a challenging January 2021 as the nation struggle to contain the spread of COVID-19 across the country with an over-stretched health care system.

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control made this disclosure at the Tuesday, December 29, press briefing of the Presidential Taskforce on COVID-19.

NCDC boss, Dr Chikwe Iheakwazu, according to Punch, lamented that Nigerians disregard for health protocols and safety guidelines has seen the country record the highest number of COVID-19 cases last week, the worst numbers ever recorded since the start of the outbreak.

Coronavirus: FG takes action, announces new travel rules for UK, South African passengers
NCDC raises alarm, warns Nigerians that January 2021 will be tough, laments Nigerians disregard for health protocols

NCDC raises alarm, warns that January 2021 will be tough for Nigerians as COVID-19 cases jump Photo Credit: NCDC
Source: Twitter

He said:

“We just faced the worst week since we started responding to this outbreak. We had more cases in Nigeria last week than in any other previous week since the beginning of the outbreak."

He lamented that a tough January 2021 is the reactive price Nigerians will pay for disobeying health guidelines unabated just as the Federal Government has frowned at the level of testing going on in the states.

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation Boss Mustapha, who is also the chairman Presidential Taskforce on COVID-19, has revealed that plans have been set in motion to ensure travellers entering into the country do not compound the risk of the virus.

He said additional quarantine protocols has been put in place for UK and South Africa travellers.

While commending states for implementing local protocols, he hammered on the need for an increased supply and distribution of medical oxygen as it is pivotal in the fight against the virus.

COVID-19: This Nigerian governor refuses to impose another lock down

He disclosed that plans are underway to review the chain of supply of medical oxygen across facilities in the country.

The SGF who spoke at the briefing also stated that new requirements have been added for travellers coming into the country.

The new requirements are part of new policies aimed at containing the virus and the SGF said:

"...key changes include requirement from passengers for two additional documents, permit to travel/QR code obtained from the travel portal after payment for the day seven post-arrival test; and COVID-19 PCR negative test with a validity now shortened to 96 hours or 4 days.”

Meanwhile, Nigeria is yet to decide on the COVID-19 vaccine to adopt. According to the Minister of state for health, Olorunimbe Mamora, the Nigeria Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control will carry out investigations and approve any vaccine that will be decided on by the FG.

COVID-19 second wave: This is when we will impose fresh travel ban - FG gives new update

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had earlier reported how the US honoured a Nigerian physician, Onyema Ogbuagu for his contribution to the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine.

The US government through its embassy in Nigeria posted a short profile of the Nigerian on its Twitter page with the caption 'Recognition of Excellence'.

COVID-19: Is Nigeria ready for another lockdown | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel