- FG said that no fewer than 100 Nigerians would face a travel ban over violation of COVID-19 protocols
- This was disclosed on Thursday, December 24, by the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19
- The PTF said the Nigerians failed to get tested for the virus seven days after they arrived in the country from abroad
The federal government has declared that it would publish a list of 100 Nigerian passport numbers that would be suspended for a minimum of six months for flouting obligation to test seven days after arrival in Nigeria from overseas travel.
Legit.ng reports that the special assistant to President Buhari on digital and new media, Tolu Ogunlesi, made this known in a tweet on Thursday, December 24.
The post-arrival test is expected to be done at the end of the mandatory 7-day self-isolation/quarantine.
The Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 said the 100 affected persons have been contacted and confirmed that they failed to do the post-arrival test.
The PTF, however, said that only passport numbers would be published and not the names of the defaulters.
It also noted that Nigeria is not banning flights from UK and South Africa for now, adding that Instead there would now be very stringent monitoring of inbound direct flights from the two countries.
The PTF stressed that any Nigerian who fails to do the Day-7 test would have their passport suspended, saying that foreigners would have their visas revoked.
"The penalties will also apply to persons caught presenting fake negative PCR Tests for travel. Apparently, it’s a thing - Nigerians cooking up fake negative results and uploading them to the travel portal and/or presenting them to airlines."
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that President Muhammadu Buhari disclosed that he has canceled the usual Christmas visits made by religious and community leaders to the presidential villa due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
It was reported that Garba Shehu, a presidential spokesperson, in a statement on Thursday, December 24, said the cancellation of the event was in line with the prevailing protocol put in place by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.
The president advised Nigerians to adhere to the prescribed protocol put in place to stop the spread of the virus.
COVID-19: How Nigerians plan to spend Christmas during a pandemic | - on Legit TV