Former CJN Onnoghen speaks on removal, says nobody told him his offence

Former CJN Onnoghen speaks on removal, says nobody told him his offence

- Nigeria's former chief justice, Walter Onnoghen, celebrated his 70th birthday on Tuesday, December 22

- During the birthday dinner, he reminisced on the circumstances leading to his untimely exit from his position as the CJN

- Onnoghen who was accused of corrupt practices said he was told he had been removed from office without being told his offence

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

Justice Walter Onnoghen, the immediate past Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), says he was suddenly told that he had been removed from office without being informed about his offence.

The Punch reports that Onnoghen who was suspended as the CJN in January 2019 by President Muhammadu Buhari based an order by the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) said this on Tuesday, December 22, during his 70th birthday celebration.

After his suspension, Onnoghen was subsequently replaced with the incumbent CJN, Justice Tanko Muhammad.

Read also

Alleged fraud: Lagos court discharges case against Atiku’s son-in-law, gives reason

Onnoghen: Former CJN speaks on removal, says nobody told him his offence
Former CJN Onnoghen speaks on removal, says nobody told him his offence. Photo credit: @yunusxonline
Source: Twitter

However, Onnoghen never returned to office till his conviction by the CCT and his voluntary retirement in April 2019.

Almost two years after, Onnoghen said nobody told him anything about his offence when he was told that he had been removed.

His words:

“How can you just wake up one morning and they say you have been removed from office. Nobody is ready to tell you anything, all everybody was just saying is resign, resign.
“What have I done?”

Legit.ng gathers the incumbent CJN, Muhammad, the president of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Olumide Apkata, and many other dignitaries paid glowing tributes to Onnoghen during the birthday dinner.

Despite the allegations of corruption levelled against him, the NBA president said the lawyers’ umbrella body remained extremely proud of Onnoghen.

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

Earlier, Legit.ng reported that a fundamental rights suit filed by Onnoghen seeking N130 million as damages from the federal government and the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) had been struck out by the Federal High Court in Abuja.

Read also

K1 De Ultimate says he'll never go into politics over fear of failing electorates

The ex-CJN had accused the federal government of violating his rights as a citizen of Nigeria.

The presiding judge, Justice Taiwo Taiwo held, among others that the applicant, N.S. Nwawka, filed the suit without Onnoghen’s permission, adding that it had no locus standi.

Onnoghen's Trial is Politically Motivated - APRJ | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel