COVID-19: We've no plan to impose fresh lockdown, says FG

COVID-19: We've no plan to impose fresh lockdown, says FG

- The federal government has given a clarification on the alleged fresh lockdown in the country

- The minister of information and culture, Lai Mohammed, said the government has given no such order

- Mohammed noted that the Buhari-led administration is not ignorant of the harsh effects of such a decision

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

The federal government, through the ministry of information and culture on Tuesday, December 22, clarified that it has not declared a fresh lockdown of the country due to the second wave of the coronavirus pandemic.

The minister, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, who gave this revelation, explained that both the mandate of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 does not necessarily mean a fresh lockdown, Daily Trust reports.

Dousing the fears of Nigerians, Mohammed said that the government is very much aware that another lockdown will terribly affect a lot of citizens.

Read also

FG directs workers to work from home amid second wave of COVID-19 (here are levels affected)

COVID-19: We've no plan to impose fresh lockdown, says FG
Lai Mohammed said there is no fresh lockdown from the federal government (Photo: @Mohammed_Lai)
Source: Twitter

He went on to note that the PTF only imposed the restrictions on public gatherings to slow down the spread of the virus.

The minister's words:

“What we have done is that we have simply reiterated the old protocols and asked federal workers on Level 12 and below to stay at home and they will still receive their salaries.
“Lagos state has equally asked their level 14 workers and below to work from home and Kaduna state has done the same.
“Therefore, there is no fresh lockdown and the issue of hardship and economy meltdown does not arise.’’

Meanwhile, new restrictions on gatherings especially in religious and recreational centres due to the spread of the second wave of COVID-19 had been extended to March 2021.

The extension was imposed on Tuesday, December 22, by President Muhammadu Buhari, The Nation reports.

The president made this crucial decision after receiving the end-of-the-year reports of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19 at the State House.

Read also

Coronavirus: Imo workers berate Gov Uzodinma over closure of state secretariat

The president noted that the nation cannot take and bear the risk of losing what the administration had gained in the last nine months which witnessed its tough battle with the pandemic.

COVID-19: Is Nigeria ready for another lockdown | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel