CSO writes ICC over view on Nigerian security agencies

CSO writes ICC over view on Nigerian security agencies

- The International Human Rights Protection Forum has condemned the move by the ICC to investigate Nigeria's security agencies

- The organisation said investigating the military and its sister agencies would undermine Nigeria's war against insurgency

- According to the organisation, the reports against the military and security agencies on the #EndSARS protest is ill-conceived

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

The International Human Rights Protection Forum (IHRPF) has written a letter to the International Criminal Court (ICC) over the court's plan to investigate allegations of war crime against the Nigerian military and other security agencies.

The IHRPF in its letter to the office of the chief prosecutor of ICC, Fatou Bensou, said the court decision emanated from some misguided utterances against the Nigerian military and sister agencies. 

In the letter signed by IHRPF's director of communication, Zakari Yinusa, and seen by Legit.ng, the organisation said ICC's plan to investigate the Nigerian military is not in tandem with any known criminal court in the world.

Read also

Kankara abduction: End insecurity now or get this from us - NUT threatens FG

Yinusa said the court's decision has been based on individuals and organisations hell-bent on ensuring that the Nigerian military is demoralized to the extent of losing focus on the final defeat of Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorist groups.

CSO writes ICC over view on Nigerian security agencies
The organisation urged the ICC to drop the investigation against Nigerian military and other security agencies. Photo credit: ICC website
Source: UGC

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the international court in November said it received petitions to probe the Lekki toll gate shooting of #EndSARS protesters by security agencies.

The court said that every piece of information received will be investigated and appropriate actions taken.

The ICC also said that it will make the findings of its investigations on the incidents that took place at the Lekki toll gate on Tuesday, October 20, public.

However, in a swift reaction to the declaration made by the ICC, the chief of army staff, Tukur Buratai, has said that the plan by the international court to investigate the military is wicked and unnecessary.

Read also

EndSARS: CJ reveals court’s role in freezing accounts of sponsors

Buratai said such a move by the ICC will serve as a distraction in Nigeria's effort to end insurgency and criminality in the country.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

How best can President Buhari tackle insecurity | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel