The pomegranate is a superior fruit. Not only is it really tasty, but it is also so versatile that there are so many ways to enjoy it. However, one thing that’s not always a joy when it comes to the fruit is the problem of how to cut a pomegranate. Sure, there are many ways to do it, but is there a way that you can cut pomegranate without leaving your kitchen in a mess and the fruit's seeds all over your countertop? Luckily, this article will teach you all you need to know about how to open a pomegranate easily. Read on.
If you have tried the fruit before, then you have surely asked yourself, “How do you cut a pomegranate without making a mess?” Trust me, you are not alone. The notoriety of this fruit when it comes to deseeding it is what makes many shy away from buying it in the first place. But, in all honesty, you do not have to do that, as cutting a pomegranate can be a less daunting task than what you have been doing.
Here is an interesting, helpful guide on how to peel a pomegranate at home.
How to cut a pomegranate
Here are the two processes to follow if you wish to learn how to open pomegranate.
How to cut pomegranate using the first method
- First, begin my making a thin slice on the bottom side of the fruit. To do this, slice about one-quarter inch off the stem end of the fruit. Make sure you use a sharp knife for this.
- Then, place the fruit on a cutting board with the cut side down to stabilize it. The fruit's blossom end, the one that looks like a crown, should be on top.
- Slowly cut around and remove the crown of the fruit: Use a paring knife to cut a circle (at a shallow angle) around the crown of the pomegranate, cutting it out.
- Now, make shallow, vertical cuts along the ridges on the outside of the fruit. You will notice the gentle ridges along the outside of the fruit. Use your knife to cut along these ridges, just through the red part of the fruit's skin. Do this from the blossom end of the fruit to the stem end. In case you do not feel the ridges, just make a couple of gentle cuts, but just make sure that your cuts are not so deep that you cut any of the seeds of the fruit.
- To open the pomegranate, use your fingers to gently pry it open. It is recommended that you do this near or over a large bowl, so that as you open the fruit, any loose seeds get inside the bowl.
- Here’s how to peel pomegranate - Use your fingers to pry the seeds away from the peel and membranes. Do this over a bowl, obviously.
- Another hack here is to fill the bowl partly with some water. By doing this, the seeds will sink to the bottom of the water, while the stubborn pieces of membrane will float to the top of the water. This makes it easier to separate the membranes from the seeds once you're done.
- Once you have removed the seeds from the membranes, skim the membranes from the top of the water and strain the seeds from the water.
Emotional moment final year student kneels down for boy who hawks "pure water" to sign on his shirt goes viral
And that's it - that's how to deseed a pomegranate. You can put the seeds in a serving bowl and enjoy or store them chilled in an airtight container.
How to seed a pomegranate using the second method
For this method, all you need to do is to cut the fruit in half through the middle and then use a wooden spoon to whack the seeds out of the fruit.
However, this method of opening a pomegranate is not only messy, but also wasteful.
How to freeze pomegranate seeds
- Make sure the seeds are dry.
- Next, arrange them in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet lined with wax paper.
- Place the sheet in the freezer for about two hours or until the seeds are completely frozen.
- Once the seeds are frozen, place them in a freezer bag or container and store them in the freezer for 3-4 days.
Sign her already: Reactions as 18-year-old Nigerian lady dribbles men on football pitch in viral video
Now that you know how to cut a pomegranate, you can now purchase the fruit confidently enough. Enjoy!
From freelancing to blogging to content writing, there are numerous ways of earning a decent income from working online.
Source: Legit Newspaper