Uncertainty over CJN Tanko Muhammad's health as office denies he is COVID-19 positive
- A recent report that the number of prominent Nigerians who have contracted COVID-19 has increased by one has been faulted
- Justice Ibrahim Saulawa, a top official of the Supreme Court, was quoted to have said that the CJN Tanko Muhammad was coping with the virus
- But Muhammad's media aide, Festus Akande, has said the claims were mere rumours
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
A report which claimed the Supreme Court disclosed that the Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Tanko Muhammad contracted the COVID-19 infection has been debunked.
The report by The Nation, said a member of the apex, Justice Ibrahim Saulawa made the disclosure on Tuesday, December 15, in Abuja.
It said he told the audience at the national headquarters of the Muslim Lawyers’ Association of Nigeria (MULAN) that Justice Muhammad was presently undergoing COVID-19 treatment in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates.
Similarly, The Cable also reported that the CJN was absent at the swearing-in of 72 new Senior Advocates of Nigeria on Monday, December 14.
It wrote that he was represented at the event by Justice Olabode Rhodes-Vivour, the next most senior Justice of the Supreme Court.
But the CJN's spokesman, Femi Akande, reacting to the report, argued that so far no one can provide any medical evidence that the CJN has been infected with the pandemic.
Akande said: “In furtherance to the press statement earlier issued, I wish to state categorically clear that there is no medical report so far made available by anybody indicating that the Hon. CJN has tested positive for Coronavirus."
Meanwhile, the federal government has raised the fears that Nigeria could be entering the second wave in the spread of the COVID-19 virus following the rise in the number of cases.
Osagie Ehanire, minister of health, said he had directed isolation and treatment centres in the country to prepare for reopening over the new development, The Cable reported.
The minister speaking at a COVID-19 briefing on Thursday, December 10, disclosed that Nigeria may be on the verge of a second wave judging by the increase in the number of confirmed cases in the last few days.
In another report, the Kaduna state governor, Nasir El-Rufai has raised the possibility of imposing another lockdown if the COVID-19 surge in the state continues.
El-Rufai made the statement on Wednesday, December 9, when he raised concerns over the increasing number of cases in Kaduna, Daily Trust reported.
The governor said measures need to be taken to contain the spread of the virus in order to prevent the state’s health system from being overwhelmed by the disease.
PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
COVID-19: Is Nigeria ready for another lockdown | Legit TV