Coronavirus: Nigeria steps up fight against COVID-19, orders for 20m doses of new vaccine

Coronavirus: Nigeria steps up fight against COVID-19, orders for 20m doses of new vaccine

- The federal government has assured Nigerians that it would not relent in the fight against COVID-19

- Faisal Shuaib, the executive secretary of NPHCDA, said Nigeria is expecting about 20 million doses of the new vaccine for COVID-19

- Shuaib noted that a technical group has devised a risk communication plan to deliver safe vaccines to Nigerians

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

Amid the fear of another outbreak of coronavirus pandemic in Nigeria, the federal government said it has put in place the machinery for receiving 20 million doses of the newly approved COVID-19 vaccine.

TheCable reports that the executive secretary of the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA), Faisal Shuaib, broke the news at the presidential task force on COVID-19 media briefing in Abuja on Thursday, December 10.

Legit.ng gathered that he said Nigeria is a member of COVAX, an international coalition, under the World Health Organization (WHO) umbrella.

Read also

COVID-19: Fears of another nationwide lockdown as FG issues fresh order

Coronavirus: Nigeria steps up fight against COVID-19, orders 20m doses of new vaccine
The minister of health, Osagie Ehanire, has warned that Nigerians may experience another round of lockdown. Credit: @DrEOEhanire
Source: Twitter

He emphasised that 92 countries came together to ensure access and safety of vaccines, adding that the expected 20 million doses would first be given to workers in the health sector and vulnerable citizens.

Shuaib said:

“We are on course to access safe vaccine in the first quarter of 2021. We will be leveraging on the polio platform to ensure effective delivery of vaccines to our vulnerable population."

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the federal government raised the fears that Nigeria could be entering the second wave in the spread of the COVID-19 virus following the rise in the number of cases.

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

It was reported that the minister of health, Osagie Ehanire, said he had directed isolation and treatment centres in the country to prepare for reopening over the new development.

Read also

COVID-19: Governor El-Rufai reveals when he will impose another lockdown

The minister speaking at a COVID-19 briefing on Thursday, December 10, disclosed that Nigeria may be on the verge of a second wave judging by the increase in the number of confirmed cases in the last few days.

COVID-19: Is Nigeria ready for another lockdown | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel