Borno killings: Senate fumes, asks Buhari to sack service chiefs

Borno killings: Senate fumes, asks Buhari to sack service chiefs

- The brutal killings by the Boko Haram insurgents have exposed the service chiefs to another round of criticisms

- The Senate called on President Buhari to sack them, adding that they have overstayed

- However, the presidency had earlier said that the call for the sack of service chiefs is out of place

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

The Nigerian Senate has asked President Muhammadu Buhari to sack the service chiefs following the recent attacks and killings by the dreaded Boko Haram insurgents.

The lawmakers made the resolution on Tuesday, December 1, following a motion by Senator Kashim Shettima, the lawmaker representing Borno central.

According to the upper legislative chamber, the service chiefs have overstayed and need to be replaced with new ones with fresh ideas.

Boko Haram: Sack service chiefs now, Senate tells Buhari over Borno killings
Senate asks Buhari to sack service chiefs over Borno killings. Photo credit: Femi Adesina
Source: Facebook

The lawmakers' resolution on the spate of killings was posted on its official Twitter handle.

Read also

Breaking: Lawmakers "fight", disagree over motion to invite Buhari over insecurity (photos)

Three Boko Haram attacks in one week

In the last few days, the Boko Haram insurgents have carried out devastating attacks in the northern state of Borno.

On Friday, November 27, the insurgents killed at least 13 loggers in Damboa local government area of the state.

In another attack on the same day, the terrorists burnt down the ancient town of Kareto in Mobar local government area.

On Saturday, November 28, they unleashed another attack and murdered at least 43 farmers in Zabarmari, a Borno community known for rice farming.

Sources said the farmers were rounded up and summarily slaughtered by the armed insurgents.

Like Senate, Reps send message to President Buhari

The House of Representatives has suggested that the federal government should compensate the people of Zabarmari over the destruction of their farms and the murder of their beloved.

Femi Gbajabiamila, the speaker of the House, made the calls during a plenary on Tuesday, December 1, amid continuous reactions trailing the killing of the rice farmers.

Read also

Newspapers review: Nigeria mourns as Borno buries victims of Boko Haram insurgency

He expressed grief over the casualties, adding that Nigerians in the northeast region "have been and continue to be the first victims of a brutal insurgency."

Presidency reacts

Meanwhile, the Nigerian presidency has described as "out of place" the mounting demands for the sacking of the service chiefs over the spate of insecurity in the county.

Garba Shehu, senior media and publicity aide to President Buhari said this on Monday night, November 30.

Shehu said the service chiefs "serve at the pleasure of the president" and since President Buhari is satisfied with their performance, the calls for their sack is out of place.

Can Nigerian Soldiers really not deal with Boko Haram fighters? | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel