- About 32,000 workers to be affected as Disney is set for a massive layoff in 2021 over the highly devastating effects of the coronavirus
- The company's theme park in South California is yet to be fully reopened as COVID-19 infection continues to spread in the US
- Disney had announced earlier that 28,000 would be furloughed but additional 4,000 workers will now lose their jobs by next year
As the coronavirus pandemic continues to have a terrible effect on the global economy, The Walt Disney Co, a popular US-based mass media company, has said it could be forced to sack total 32,000 of its workers by 2021.
The company spoke on the possibility of laying-off more workers from its theme pack located in Southern California from 28,000 which was earlier announced in September to 32,000
Jubilation as CACOVID announces plan to empower four million Nigerian youths via N25bn employment scheme
Although the decision is still tentative, Disney said the continued crackdown on parks in the US due to the COVID-19 infection has plunged it into a huge financial loss, Reuters reports.
Earlier this year when the pandemic started to have a bad effect on the economy, Disney announced it would be furloughing its workers pending the time the parks would be fully reopened by the authorities with no restriction of social distancing.
Meanwhile, Disney theme parks in Shanghai, Hong Kong and Tokyo are all opened as China is getting a soft landing into the post-COVID-19 era.
60,852,917 cases of coronavirus cases have been officially recorded in the world with 1,429,634 and 42,171,732 recoveries, according to Worldometers data.
The United States sits comfortably atop the log in the long list of over 200 countries and territories affected by the virus with 13,139,882 cases, 268,262 deaths and 7,808,059 recoveries.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that the Gates Foundation has added another $70 million (N26.6 billion) funding for the production and distribution of COVID-19 vaccine.
The donation was made on Thursday, November 12, by the foundation which said it is hoping more donors will follow suit.
Gates Foundation, in a statement by its co-chair Melinda Gates, said $50 million (N19 billion) will go to the COVAX Advance Market Commitment (AMC) led by the GAVI vaccine alliance.
It also explained that $20 million (N7 billion) will be given to the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI) for the COVID-19 candidates, adding that the world must get equal access to treatment.
COVID-19: Trump fulfils promise to Nigeria, presents 200 Ventilators to health ministry | Legit TV