- The kidnappers of the abducted students of ABU have reportedly asked for ransom before the release of their abductees
- Nine students of the French department ABU were on Sunday, November 15, abducted along Kaduna-Abuja road
- The kidnappers were said to have reached out to the family of the victims
A report by the Daily Trust indicates that the armed men who kidnapped some Nigerian French Language students of Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria, along the Kaduna-Abuja highway on Sunday, November 15, have demanded a cumulative sum of N270 million as their ransom.
Legit.ng gathered that one of the students among those in the bus who succeeded in escaping, Dickson Oko, told the newspaper that the kidnappers had reached out to the families of the kidnapped students, demanding N30 million ransom on each.
It was reported that Oko, who allegedly sustained a gunshot wound during the attack, said he was recuperating but was devastated by the thought of his colleagues in captivity.
He said despite the gunshot wound, he was among those that ran out of the bus, leaving his phone and other belongings.
The newspaper also noted that he, however, said when he returned to the bus after the attack, his phones and those of others were no longer there.
Oko and the bus driver, Nuruddeen Mohammed, told Daily Trust that 12 of them were in the bus but nine students were kidnapped.
The driver told the newspaper how he and three other students escaped the grip of the bandits in the Kaduna-Abuja highway kidnap incident.
According to the report, a female relative of one of the kidnapped students told the Voice of America (VOA) Hausa Service monitored in Kaduna that the kidnappers have reached out to the family demanding for N30 million per student.
She pleaded with the kidnappers to have mercy and release the victims, saying they were only students.
The students who were on their way to the French Village in Lagos for their language immersion programme were trapped at the Akilubu-Gidan Busa axis on the highway when gunmen blocked both lanes of the road and opened fire on motorists.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that 12 assistant-superintendents of police (ASPs) heading to Zamfara from Borno state were abducted by some gunmen.
It was reported that the wife of one of the abducted police officers said she was told that her husband had been kidnapped when she visited the police barracks in Borno after not hearing from him for three days.
Buhari should put an end to banditry, unrest in Zamfara - Nigerians cry | - on Legit TV