Lekki shooting: Observers release report on Lagos panel activities

Lekki shooting: Observers release report on Lagos panel activities

- The governor of Lagos state has been urged to apologise to the Nigerian army over allegations made on Lekki shooting

- The call was made by the Lagos Observers Group on Monday, November 16

- According to the group, the army's statement at the panel has shown that the governor called for reinforcement from the army as police were overwhelmed by the #EndSARS protesters

PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75000 or N38000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng

The Lagos Observers Group (LOG) on Monday, November 16, called on the Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, to apologise to the Nigerian army over alleged false claims on the Lekki shooting.

The group said that after analysing the army's testimony at the Lagos state judicial panel of inquiry and restitution, it has become necessary to compel the governor to tender an apology.

In a communique signed by Folarin John Odusote and Boboye Olarewaju, its chairman and secretary respectively, LOG said the army's statement is factual to support the position that the #EndSARS campaign was not a reflection of the reality on the ground.

Army to Lagos panel: Only blank bullets were fired at Lekki tollgate

It said:

"Our members took the time to scrutinize the various testimonies by other concerned parties involved in the EndSARS protest to identify the number of casualties as a result of the intervention of the Nigerian army at the Lekki toll gate."
Lekki shooting: Apologise to Nigerian army now, Lagos observers tell Sanwo-Olu

The Lagos observers have called on Governor Sanwo-Olu to apologise to the Nigerian army. Photo credit: @followlasg
Source: Twitter

The communique said it is also important to note that Governor Sanwo-Olu called for reinforcement from the army when it was clear that the police had been overwhelmed by the #EndSARS protesters.

It also said that the soldiers deployed to the Lekki toll gate were pelted with stones and other items upon arrival but did not have live bullets. 

The LOG said the allegations levelled against the army are fictitious and meant to disparage the timely intervention of the troops. 

It also said that there is overwhelming evidence that indeed the Nigerian army was invited by the governor of Lagos state.

"That if the governor fails to tender an unreserved apology, he should tow the honourable path of resignation as he would no longer be fit to occupy the position of governor of Lagos state."
Lekki shooting: Right decision - Army hails Sanwo-olu for calling in soldiers

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the Nigerian army had given its testimony on the events that occurred at the Lekki toll gate during the #EndSARS protest.

The army at the panel said it only fired blank bullets containing gunpowders at protesters at the arena.

Speaking during the process, commander of the 81 Military Intelligence Brigade, Brigadier-General Ahmed Taiwo, said soldiers deployed to the area only fired into the air and not directly at the #EndSARS protesters.

Army officers, residents stop hoodlums from attacking bank, offices in Festac Town | Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel