- The association of Speakers of state Houses of Assembly has elected new executive members
- Abubakar Suleiman, the speaker of Bauchi state House of Assembly, was elected the new chairman of the association
- Suleiman took over from the speaker of Lagos state House of Assembly, Hon Mudashiru Obasa
The Speaker of the Bauchi state House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Abubakar Suleiman has been elected as the new chairman of the Conference of Speakers of State Legislatures in Nigeria.
The election of Suleiman followed the constitutional end of the tenure of Rt. Hon. Mudashiru Obasa, whose executive committee was elected at a meeting of the conference held in Lagos in August 2018.
Legit.ng gathers that the constitution of the conference stipulates a two-year term of office for its elected leadership which rotates between the north and the southern part of Nigeria.
At a meeting held at Reiz Continental Hotel in Abuja on Thursday, November 6, Hon. Obasa formally handed over to Suleiman, who is now saddled with leading the conference for the next two years.
Other members of the committee include:
1. Deputy Chairman (Speaker Delta), Rt Hon Sheriff Oborevwori
2. Treasurer (Speaker Kogi) Rt Hon Matthew Kolawole
3. Financial Secretary (Speaker Enugu) Rt Hon Edward Ubosi
4. Vice-Chair, North West (Speaker Katsina) Rt Hon Tasiu Musa Maigari
5. Vice-Chair, North East (Speaker Gombe) Rt Hon Sadiq Ibrahim Abubakar
6. Vice-Chair, North Central (Speaker Plateau) Rt Hon Abok Nuhu Ayuba
7. Vice-Chair, South West (Speaker Ogun) Rt Hon Olakunle Oluomo
8. Vice-Chair, South East (Speaker Ebonyi) Rt Hon Nwifuru Francis
9. Vice-Chair, South-South (Speaker Akwa Ibom) Rt Hon Aniekan Bassey
Speaker Obasa's tenure saw a push for financial autonomy for state legislatures and judiciary as well as cooperation with the government of President Muhammadu Buhari to achieve this.
Recall that President Buhari, on Friday, May 22, signed Executive Order 10 for the implementation of the financial autonomy after a committee report concerning the issue was handed over to him.
Reacting to the approval through a statement on Saturday, May 23, obtained by Legit.ng, Hon. Obasa described the gesture as one that will make the legislature independent and proactive as a major arm of government.
"This is the best gift the President, His Excellency, Muhammadu Buhari, has given the legislative arms of state governments at this Sallah. And coming at the end of the Ramadan, it means God truly answered the prayers of the member state legislatures through the President."
Nigeria News Today: No Lawmaker is in the House of Assembly for the People | Legit TV