- Aged people showed that voting is an important exercise no one should miss, as they performed their civic duties in the 2020 US election
- Among centenarians who weathered the challenges of their old age and the COVID-19 pandemic are 102-year-old Beatrice Lumpkin and 101-year-old Bernice Chilton
- What the aged people who voted seem to have in common is their passion to ensure that the right person gets the White House seat
Despite the fact that the 2020 US election is happening at a time when the world is fighting a pandemic, some centenarians braved it all as they went all out to vote.
In a report by Yahoo Life, women from 101 years old, went out with their protective suits and in some cases facemasks as a way to stay safe while they cast their votes.
Centenarian celebrates 108th birthday in a special way by voting in US presidential election, gives crucial message (photos)
Below are some of the old women who exercised their electoral rights:
1. Beatrice Lumpkin (102 years old)
The 102-year-old woman who lives in Chicago has been casting her ballots since 1940. In this time of the outbreak, the woman walked to the poll in her protective suit which her grandson.
2. Talu Massey (103 years old)
Before this 2020 election, the last time Talu voted was 80 years ago when she cast her ballot paper for former president Franklin D Roosevelt.
According to Yahoo Life, the resident of Detroit voted absentee in September. She said that every American citizen has the right to determine whoever they want in office.
3. C B Stewart (101 years old)
Stewart was born in 1918 when the world was plagued with Spanish Flu. He said he has only missed one election throughout his life, which was when he was serving in the army.
US Election: 99-year-old man born at a time when blacks couldn't vote finally cast his ballot, here's his story (photos)
4. Bernice Chilton (101 years old)
Bernice braved a broken bone and arthritis and made it to the polling centre to vote. She said she has never missed an election in her life.
Her granddaughter said the lack of a ramp at the centre did not discourage her from participating in the election.
5. Rose Cope (103 years old)
The Alaska resident has been voting in every election since 1936. A Twitter user, Jamie Bittner, said the woman will be getting a special honour for her activeness.
PAY ATTENTION: Download our mobile app to enjoy the latest news updates
Meanwhile, Legit.ng earlier reported that a 99-year-old man, Dr Robert H Smith of Mississippi who was born at a time when blacks could not vote, exercised his electoral right in the 2020 US election.
The nonagenarian wore a face mask to the polling that had “I Voted” sticker on its side. During his interview with the media, Robert said he remembered the time that he could not cast his vote.
Explained: 6 Reasons Why Donald Trump Might Be Impeached | Legit TV
Source: Legit Nigeria