Private school owners reject Ganduje’s order for 25% slash in fees

Private school owners reject Ganduje’s order for 25% slash in fees

- Proprietors of private schools in Kano have kicked against Governor Ganduje's directive

- The governor had ordered the school owners to cut the fees by 25% to avoid cancellation of the third term academic session

- The school owners, however, said the directive was not binding on them

PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75,000 or N38,000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng

The Kano state government's directive of a 25% reduction in the school fees for the third term of the 2020/2021 academic session for private school proprietors has been rejected.

Daily Nigerian reports that the state joint committee of private and voluntary school associations said this in a statement by the chairman, Association of Model Islamic Schools (AMIS), Basheer Adamu, and the chairman, National Association of Proprietors of Private Schools (NAPPS), Muhammad Adamu, in Kano on Monday, November 2.

Legit.ng gathered that the state government had in October directed private school proprietors to reduce 25% of the school fees for the third term to cushion the effect of COVID-19 on parents in the state.

Read also

Reduce school fees by 25% now or I will cancel third term calendar, Ganduje threatens proprietors

Private school owners reject Ganduje’s order for 25% slash in fees
Governor Abdullahi Ganduje addressing stakeholders in the state. Credit: Twitter/Abdullahi Ganduje.
Source: Twitter

The committee, however, said that the proprietors would not reduce the fees as they did not receive financial support from either the state or federal government during the COVID-19 lockdown.

Reacting, the state government, however, said that there was no going back on the directive.

The state’s commissioner for education, Sanusi Kiru, said this while fielding reporters’ questions on Monday, November 2, in Kano.

He said the state government’s decision to reduce 25% of the fees is to lessen the economic hardship being faced by parents due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

He said:

“Although over 80% of the private school proprietors have complied, I want to inform you that we have 99 actions that can be taken against recalcitrant proprietors who refuse to obey the directive.
“We have set up an endorsement committee to go round private schools to ensure compliance. We want to be fair to all, but some are trying to be stubborn. When you investigate, you will find out that even the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) has cancelled the third term session, we also have the right to do the same."

Read also

Why we want to purchase 106 mass transit buses for N9.39bn - Makinde-led Oyo govt

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the Kano government warned the proprietors of private schools in the state to reduce school fees by 25% before November 1, to prevent the canceling of the third-term academic session.

It was reported that the state commissioner for education, Malam Muhammad Kiru, made this known on Thursday, October 29.

SPECIAL REPORT: Analyzing readiness of schools, teachers, parents ahead of resumption | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel