Extortion: South east youths call for reduction of security roadblocks in region

Extortion: South east youths call for reduction of security roadblocks in region

- The roadblocks by security personnel in the southeast region should be reduced says some youth groups

- Going further, the youths lamented that the extent of extortion of motorists is much

- Meanwhile, the youths also called for an end to maginalisation of the region

PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75,000 or N38,000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng

Youth groups in the southeast have called for a review of the indiscriminate mounting of roadblocks in the region by security agencies.

This is contained in a communique issued in Enugu on Friday at the end of a meeting between governors of the South East and the leaders of the youths in the zone.

A representative of one of the groups who read the communique, Mr Uchenna Madu, said that the number of road blocks in the region and the extent of extortion on motorists were unimaginable.

Read also

EndSARS: Southeast leaders send important message to Igbos

He said that the various state governors being the chief security officers in their respective domains should determine flashpoints where security check points should be mounted.

He also called for an end to all forms of discrimination on the people of the region, adding that all parts of the country needed to be treated equally and justly.

Madu, who represented the Movement for Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB), expressed concern on alleged discrimination on the people from the area in the Federal Civil Service.

He also said that security in the area had been compromised due to the activities of suspected armed herdsmen who had taken over most forests in the zone.

The youth leader appealed to the federal government to take the necessary steps to disarm such people who destroyed farmlands and are involved in kidnap.

”South East should be given the opportunity to be the president of Nigeria in 2023.

Read also

Southeast governors to set up funds for victims of violence, looting in Igboland

”We pledge to live and work peacefully with herders if they coexist harmoniously and in unity with farmers,” he said.

Madu said that it had become more compelling for an additional state to be created in the region to bring it at par with others.

He appealed to each state government in the region to set up a youth rehabilitation and empowerment fund.

“The Youths observed that all the major roads in Igbo land are in a deplorable state. We, therefore, request the Federal Government to approve a substantial intervention fund to complete these road projects.
“Above all, we appeal that the South East be supported to produce the next president of the country in 2023.
“The President General of Ohaneze Ndigbo will lead South East Youth representatives and other selected Igbo leaders to the presidency to deliver our demands,” Madu said.

Earlier, the Chairman, South East Governors Forum, Chief Dave Umahi, said that the forum aligned itself with the resolution reached at the end of the meeting.

Read also

EndSARS: We apologise on behalf of Nigerians - Lagosians beg police to return to work

Extortion: South east youths call for reduction of security roadblocks in region
Youth groups in the southeast have called for a review of the indiscriminate mounting of roadblocks in the region by security agencies. Premium Times
Source: UGC

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had reported that the claims by Amnesty International (AI) that security officers including soldiers infringed on the rights of Nigerian youths during the EndSARS protests was on Friday, October 30, refuted by the Nigerian Police Force.

The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, noted that the allegations of the AI are not true as officers displayed commendable restraints and acts of professionalism in the discharge of their duties during the rallies.

The NPF boss noted that contrary to viral claims, not less than 22 officers were killed by protesters in some parts of the country.

Even more, he revealed that 205 police stations and formations, including other critical private and public infrastructure, were also damaged by a section of the protesters.

What’s the best punishment for erring SARS officers? | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel