- Okonjo-Iweala, a former minister of finance, has said that she would achieve her aim
- The ex-minister is one of the two finalists for the position of DG of WTO
- The federal government had earlier restated its support for Okonjo-Iweala to clinch the position
Nigeria's former minister of finance and of the finalists for the position of the director-general of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has expressed strong confidence that she would finally achieve her aspiration despite her rejection by the US government.
Legit.ng reports that the ex-minister made this known on her Twitter page @NOIweala on Thursday, October 29.
She said she was happy for the success and continued progress of her bid to become the director-general of WTO, adding that she was humbled to be declared the candidate with the largest, broadest support among members and most likely to attract consensus.
Okonjo-Iweala noted that the final decision of who becomes the new director-general of the WTO would be made on November 9, saying that despite hiccups, she is keeping the positivity going.
"Happy for the success & continued progress of our @wto DG bid. Very humbled to be declared the candidate with the largest, broadest support among members & most likely to attract consensus. We move on to the next step on Nov 9, despite hiccups. We're keeping the positivity going."
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that despite the threat by the United States of America to block Okonjo-Iweala from becoming the DG of the WTO, the federal government restated its support for the ex-managing director of the World Bank.
It was reported that the government's position was made known in a statement issued on Thursday, October 29, by the spokesperson for the ministry of foreign affairs, Ferdinand Nwonye.
The ministry added that Okonjo-Iweala had secured the support of the majority of the WTO members with only the United States opposing her.
It stated that a meeting of the general council of the WTO has been scheduled for November 9, 2020, for the final decision on the election process.
33-yr-old lady becomes first woman in Lagos to bear mace | - on Legit TV