- WAEC has postponed the release of the WASSCE 2020 results to "next week"
- The body made the announcement on Wednesday, saying the delay is due to the curfew imposed by the government
- WAEC said the exact date will be announced soon while dismissing as fake news a social media claim that results are out for check
West African Examination Council (WAEC), a body coordinating the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE), has announced a new date for the release of the students' results.
In a statement on Wednesday, October 28, the examination body declared that it has postponed the release of the 2020 WASSCE result to next week, adding that the exact date will be announced soon.
The release of the result is scheduled for release today, October 28, in fulfilment of the WAEC's Project 45 but the body said the arrangement has changed.
WAEC attributed the change in the schedule to the curfew imposed by some state governors following the breakdown of laws and orders by hoodlums which resulted in wanton destruction of properties.
Legit.ng recalls that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos (which is the epicentre of EndSARS protest) and his colleagues in the southwest and other regions imposed a 24-hour curfew as suspected hoodlums continue to unleash mayhem under the guise of demonstration.
While taking the decision, the governors stressed that the government would not armfold itself while Nigeria gradually descended into anarchy.
WAEC posted a message on Twitter, which read:
"WASSCE SC 2020 Results Release Date: Dear candidates, the Council had planned to release the results today in fulfillment of our Project 45 but due to the curfew imposed last week, it had to be postponed till next week. The exact date will be made known soon."
WAEC also warned the candidates who took the examination to wait for a formal declaration from its officials, dismissing as fake news a social media claim that results are out.
Meanwhile, Governor Sanwo-Olu has announced the easing of the curfew imposed on Lagos state over repeated attacks on facilities by suspected thugs wreaking havoc under the guise of EndSARS protest.
The governor made the announcement on Friday evening, October 23, during a press conference in the state.
Sanwo-Olu said the decision was made after close consultation with "various levels of security" stakeholders in the state despite "pocket of insecurity."
What’s the best punishment for erring SARS officers? | - on Legit TV