- Lagos state has said that it never ordered the shooting of EndSARS protesters
- Some protesters were shot dead by security operatives at Lekki tollgate on Tuesday, October 20
- The state government, however, said it has begun an investigation into the incident
PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75,000 or N38,000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng
Following the reactions that trailed the killing of some EndSARS protesters at Lekki tollgate, the Lagos state government has denied deploying military officers to attack the peaceful demonstrators.
Legit.ng reports that the government said it has ordered a full investigation into the massacre, adding that the culprits would be brought to book.
Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu in a statement issued by the commissioner for information and strategy, Gbenga Omotoso, directed security agencies not to arrest anyone despite the 24-hours curfew introduced across the state.
Sanwo-Olu further noted that the state could not have ordered extra-judicial killings of peaceful protesters as being reported on social media platforms.
The governor made this known in a thread of tweets posted on @followlasg on the evening of Tuesday, October 20, after several videos went viral on social media where military personnel were seen shooting sporadically at the unarmed protesters.
He noted that the curfew had been introduced to halt violence by hoodlums who had hijacked the protest, adding that the intent was not to kill innocent citizens.
The commissioner noted that the state government had ordered an investigation into the unfortunate incident and anyone found culpable would be arrested and promptly prosecuted.
"Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has advised the security agents not to arrest anyone on account of the curfew, which he urges residents to observe for the peaceful atmosphere we all cherish.
"The governor will do everything within his power to ensure that the lives of all Lagosians are protected at all times."
Legit.ng had previously reported that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu visited some EndSARS protesters who sustained injuries during the shooting at the Lekki toll gate.
It was reported that the governor made this disclosure in a tweet on Wednesday, October 21, describing the incident as unfortunate and sad.
In another report, the governor imposed a 24-hour curfew on Lagos state as suspected hoodlums continued to unleash mayhem under the guise of EndSARS protest.
What’s the best punishment for erring SARS officers? | - on Legit TV