- The northern governors are not in support of the disbandment of SARS
- Nigerians across the country have been staging protests against the activities of SARS which led to the disbandment
- Governor Simon Lalong, however, said that the operatives of SARS have been very useful in the fight against insurgency
PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75,000 or N38,000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng
Despite the protests against the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) by Nigerians, the northern governors are of the opinion that the unit has been useful in the fight against insecurity in the region.
Guardian reports that the governors rejected the disbandment of SARS on Thursday, October 15, urging the federal government to have a rethink on it.
Legit.ng gathered that the chairman of the Northern Governors Forum (NGF) and Plateau state governor, Simon Lalong, spoke in Abuja while fielding questions from State House correspondents after he met with President Muhammadu Buhari.
He maintained that though the president had already approved the scrapping of SARS, the northern states did not believe the squad should be disbanded because of its shortcomings.
Lalong also noted that what was needed was the reformation of the unit to enable it to carry out its functions optimally, adding that there were divisions in the country regarding the continued existence of the unit.
The governors stated this at the end of their 19th teleconference meeting headed by the NGF chairman, Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti state.
NEC had asked the 36 governors to take charge of SWAT, just as the federal government said it had set up a judicial panel of inquiry to investigate police brutality in all states and the FCT.
The NGF urged IGP Adamu to immediately convene a meeting of all stakeholders to create a format of engagement with all state officials to address the concerns raised by protesting Nigerians.
Nigerian governors list 5 things they are doing to address all #EndSARS demands, reveal what will happen if protest is not suspended
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that a former Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Sunday Ehindero, made his position known regarding the Special Anti-robbery Squad which was recently dissolved by the federal government.
It was reported that the former police boss said the dissolved police unit was not a bad outfit, blaming the atrocities committed by men of the squad on a few bad eggs.
He supported the calls for the reform of the disbanded squad, noting that it has “deviated” from its original mandate, which is fighting robbery.
What’s the best punishment for erring SARS officers? | - on Legit TV