FG again defeats Onnoghen as court dismisses ex-CJN's human rights suit

FG again defeats Onnoghen as court dismisses ex-CJN's human rights suit

- Federal High Court has dismissed the application filed on behalf of ex-CJN Onnoghen

- The suit was to compel the FG to pay Onnoghen the sum of N130 million for alleged violation of his human rights

- Justice Taiwo Taiwo, however, held that the applicant failed to prove that he was authorised by Onnoghen

PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75,000 or N38,000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng

A fundamental rights suit filed by the former Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Walter Onnoghen, seeking N130 million as damages from the federal government and the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS) has been struck out by the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja.

The Nation reports that the ex-CJN accused the federal government of violating his rights as a citizen of Nigeria.

Legit.ng gathered that the presiding judge, Justice Taiwo Taiwo held, among others that the applicant, N.S. Nwawka, filed the suit without Onnoghen’s permission, adding that it had no locus standi.

Former EFCC boss Magu faults Salami panel on verification of assets
FG again defeats Onnoghen as court dismisses ex-CJN's human rights suit

The former CJN, Walter Onnoghen, reading a speech before he was sacked. Credit: Twitter.
Source: Twitter

It would be recalled that the judge held in his October 12 ruling that he did not see any nexus between the applicant and the respondents jointly or severally.

He had said:

“I have looked at the originating processes filed by the applicant herein, with due respect to him, I do not see any nexus between him and the respondents jointly or severally."

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the passport of the former CJN was seized by the NIS based on the federal government's order to stop him from leaving the country.

It was reported that a top official of NIS told journalists that Onnoghen was on his way to Ghana with his wife and daughter when his green passport was seized by men of the service.

Disregard the report, our website not hacked - EFCC insists

In another report, a former governor of Imo state, Ikedi Ohakim was being prosecuted by the police for allegedly using the name of the minister of works and housing, Babatunde Fashola to defraud unsuspecting Nigerians.

The police in a suit filed at the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) in Abuja also accused the former governor of giving false information.

Onnoghen's Trial is Politically Motivated - APRJ | - on Legit TV

Source: Legit

Online view pixel