- NCDC has advised the EndSARS protesters to remember that COVID-19 still exits in Nigeria
- The director-general of NCDC, Chikwe Ihekweazu, said that the second phase of the pandemic is imminent in the country
- Ihekweazu also urged Nigerians to adhere strictly to the COVID-19 directives
PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75,000 or N38,000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng
The federal government has warned the EndSARS protesters across the country to be mindful of the risk of getting COVID-19 infection.
Legit.ng reports that the director-general Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Chikwe Ihekweazu, gave the warning on Thursday, October 15, at the Presidential Task Force (PTF) briefing on COVID-19 in Abuja.
He said the number of new cases the country may have would be determined by the people's behaviour and the circumstances that they find themselves.
“The number of new cases we will have will be determined by our own behaviour and the circumstances that we find ourselves. So, right now we are reopening schools; schools by definition means you are going to have more people in confined spaces.
“We have published guidelines together with the federal ministry of education to mitigate those risks. How effectively they are implemented will mean if there will be more transmission or less.
“You can see some of the demonstrations happening across the country. The virus doesn’t know whether you are young or old, policeman or a demonstrator; it uses the opportunity to jump from persons to persons.
He said despite the second wave of the pandemic across the world, Nigeria might not have it, adding it the people's ability to manage it would be a determining factor.
“So, as we open up our offices, the onus is on the leaders of each office to determine whether you will come into that room with a mask or without a mask. They will determine where there will be sanitizing system in that room or not. So, a lot of leadership will be required as we go into the next phase of easing the lockdowns,’’
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that the federal government ordered all the civil servants to resume their duties on Monday, October 19.
It was reported that this was disclosed on Thursday, October 15, by the chairman of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19, Boss Mustapha, and the national coordinator of PTF, Sanni Aliyu, at the press briefing in Abuja, the nation's capital.
REPORT: How COVID-19 increased child labour in Lagos state | - on Legit TV