Following the disbandment of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), the Inspector-General of Police, Adamu Mohammed, announced that a new unit would be created.
In line with the announcement, the police boss has now set up a new unit tagged Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT).
Though #EndSTARS protesters are still demanding that the new unit should also be scrapped, the police have gone ahead to release some major facts about SWAT.
The new information was released by police spokesperson, Frank Mba, on Wednesday, October 14.
Below are the five key facts about SWAT:
1. No personnel of the defunct SARS will be selected to be part of the new police unit
2. Operations of the new police unit will be strictly intelligence-driven
3. Members of the new team will not embark on routine patrols
4. They are also barred from indiscriminate and unlawful search of phones, laptops and other smart devices.
5. Operatives of the new police unit will also be free of any pending disciplinary matter especially those touching on misuse of firearms and abuse of human rights.
The police also released four major mandates of the new tactical team. This includes:
1. The police unit is strictly restricted to response to robbery attacks
2. Members of the new unit are also strictly to respond to scenes of weapon-related crimes
3. Rescue operations are also part of their duty
4. The last task assigned to them includes special operations involving high profile criminals
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that the IGP assured Nigerians of justice following the outcry over brutality by the controversial unit Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS).
This was revealed in a video shared on the official Twitter page of the Nigerian government on Wednesday, October 14.
Operatives of the unit have long been accused of kidnapping, harassing, and extorting many Nigerian youths.
In response to the public outcry on police brutality, the IGP said an investigation team will be constituted to pinpoint the abuses.
Buhari, EndSARS now - Abuja protesters cry | - on Legit TV