YouTube Music offers a music streaming service that is personalised to you. For example, the same playlist will play in a different order for different people, based on your listening history, so the playlist hits the right note for you when you hit ‘play’. And that’s not the coolest thing it can do.
Below we’ve outlined 10 things you need to know to get the best out of your YouTube Music:
1. It’s all here. YouTube Music includes not just music videos, but official albums, singles, remixes, live performances, covers, artist radio, and hard to find the music you can only get on YouTube. YouTube Music Premium subscribers (N900 per month) can flip between audio-only and video by selecting the toggle in the upper right-hand corner of the app.
2. Completely customised for you. The Home screen dynamically adapts to provide recommendations based on what you’ve played before, where you are and what you’re doing. From Sunshine Soul in the morning and Electronic Mind Focus at work to Elegant Dinner or Ultimate Hip-Hop Party at night. Plus if you have Location Services enabled, you’ll see even more customised recommendations like 90s Pop Workout when you’re at the gym.
3. The smartest search. We’ll find the song, even if you can’t remember what it’s called. ‘zig a zig ah’? Duh. “That rap song with flute”? We got you. You can also search by lyrics (even if they’re wrong): it’s “Starbucks lovers”, right? Take YouTube Music search for a test-drive and see how far it goes!
o Pro-tip: You can even search for the type of mood you’re in or for what you’re up to and get the right playlist for that vibe, whether that’s music for a rainy day or a girls night out.
4. Go small screen or big screen. Hosting a party? Or just want to see the latest video dropped from Burna Boy? Push YouTube Music to your TV via Chromecast by tapping the ‘cast’ icon in the upper right-hand corner of the app.
5. Double-tap & hold it. Double-tap an item on your Home screen to play it right away if you don't want to see its detail page first. Long-pressing an item on Home is a quick way to see all the overflow menu items like Start Radio, Download, Share, and Add to Library.
6. Stay on top of culture with the Hotlist. For the hottest videos trending in your region, check out the Hotlist page. And after watching some videos, check back on the Home tab to see a personalised music video shelf and recommended live performance videos based on your history.
7. Endless personalised music in Your Mixtape. For a playlist made just for you based on everything we know about your musical tastes, hit play on Your Mixtape - found on your Home
page - for a spot-on mix of your favourites plus some tracks for you to discover layered in.
8. No internet? No problem. For members of YouTube Music Premium, your Offline Mixtape automatically downloads on your mobile device. Perfect for commutes, flights, and all the other times you forget to download music in advance. And yes, paid members can also download songs, videos, albums or playlists too. Visit the Library tab to find it!
o Pro-tip: Go to Settings → Downloads to customise the length of your Offline Mixtape. Plus you can ensure that downloads happen over Wi-Fi only and update the offline audio and video quality settings.
9. Save on data & bandwidth. To reduce mobile data charges, head to Settings where you can indicate streaming audio and/or HD video via Wi-Fi only and change audio quality while on mobile networks.
10. Is it Friday yet? On new release, Fridays, check out the New Releases shelf on your Home page for a personalised selection of new singles and albums whether you’re a metalhead, rap fanatic or classical music devotee.