- Nigerian youths in Port Harcourt have flagged off the EndSARS protests in Rivers state
- The protesters hit the streets despite the state government's earlier directive banning any form of anti-police protest
- The protesters maintained that rallies are part of their democratic right which nobody can trample upon - including the governor
PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75000 or N38000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng
Despite the earlier directive by Governor Nyesom Wike banning all forms of EndSARS rallies, protesters have defied the Rivers government and hit the street in a demonstration against police brutality in the state.
It would be recalled that Governor Wike outlawed protests against the police as contained in a statement signed by his commissioner for information and communications, Paulinus Nsirim.
The governor said protests were unnecessary since the controversial SARS police unit had been dissolved by the inspector general of police, Mohammed Adamu, on Sunday, October 11, amid nationwide outrage.
The governor also called on security agencies to ensure that the protest must not take place, adding that attempt to break down laws and orders in Rivers will be met with force.
However, a check showed that youths on Tuesday, October 13, are holding their protest against police brutality and extortion in Port Harcourt, Rivers state capital.
The protesters, who converged at Pleasure Park, Port Harcourt, around 8.45 am said they cannot armfold themselves when innocent people are being killed.
They maintained that protest remains their democratic right as entrenched in the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
One of the demonstrators said:
“We are protesting against people that are killing us and you are asking us to stay at home, how come? We are harassed and treated like criminals every day."
My experience as son of ex-policeman - Nigerian governor speaks on #EndSARS protest, proffers solutions
Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that Gbenga Omotoso, Lagos commissioner for information, stated that the police was not responsible for the shooting in the Surulere axis of the state.
Rather, the commissioner, while reacting to the incident which claimed the life of at least two people including police officers, blamed the shooting on hoodlums.
Buhari, EndSARS now - Abuja protesters cry | Legit TV
Source: Legit.ng News