Governor Rotimi Akeredolu one of the major contenders of the Ondo state election was declared the winner of the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primary by the primary election committee on Monday, July 20.
The incumbent governor emerged as the ruling part's flagbearer after pulling the highest number of votes in all the 18 local government areas of the state to beat his closest rival, Chief Oke and other aspirants.
PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75,000 or N38,000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng
While the governor is seeking re-election for a second term, other candidates including his deputy governor, Agboola Ajayi are interested in unseating him.
Legit.ng provides 11 key facts about the official flag bearer of the ruling APC in the 2020 gubernatorial election in Ondo state.
1. Akeredolu hails from Owo in Owo local government area in the Ondo North senatorial district.
2. He was born on July 21, 1956, in Owo to Reverend J. Ola Akeredolu of the Akeredolu family and Lady Evangelist Grace B. Akeredolu.
3. For his primary education, Akeredolu attended Government School, Owo. He attended 3 institutions for his secondary school education and Higher School Certificate, Aquinas College, Akure, Loyola College, Ibadan and Comprehensive High School, Ayetoro.
4. He is a graduate of Law from the University of Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University).
5. He got called to the Nigerian Bar in 1978 and became a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) in 1998.
6. Akeredolu was appointed Attorney General of Ondo State from 1997–1999.
7. In 2008, he served as the president of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA).
8. Akeredolu was a managing partner at Olujinmi & Akeredolu, a law firm he co-founded with Chief Akin Olujinmi, former Attorney General and minister for justice in Nigeria.
9. Akeredolu ran on the platform of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) for governor of Ondo state in the 2013 election.
10. He was first elected governor of the state in 2016 after defeating the candidate of the then ruling party, Eyitayo Jegede of the PDP.
11. He is married to Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu who hails from Imo state. They met during the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) and are blessed with four children.
I will conduct free and fair primaries in Ondo - Yahaya Bello | - on Legit TV