Following the peaceful conduct of the Edo state governorship election, all eyes are on the Ondo gubernatorial poll. Political actors in the sunshine state have already perfected their strategies to be victorious.
The race for the gubernatorial poll is between the All Progressives Congress (APC) the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), and the Zenith Labour Party (ZLP).
PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75000 or N38000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng
Though the candidates of the APC and PDP are not new to the governorship race, the emergence of the Ondo state deputy governor, Agboola Alfred Ajayi, as the candidate of ZLP has, however, gotten many people talking.
Ajayi is one of the major contenders in the state governorship election coming up on Saturday, October 10, in all the local government areas.
Ahead of the much-talked-about election, Legit.ng provides some important facts about the deputy governor who seeks to wrestle power from his boss, Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu.
1. Agboola was born on September 24, 1968, to the famous Ajayi family in the socio-politically conscious town of Kiribo in Ese-Odo local government area of Ondo state.
2. He started both his primary and secondary education at Kiribo in Ese-Odo local government area. Ajayi later proceeded to Methodist High School to finish his high school.
He obtained a Bachelor of Law (LL.B) (Second Class Upper Division) from Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo state, Nigeria.
3. The deputy governor is a barrister at law and a solicitor of the Supreme Court. He was called to bar in 2010 after his graduation from the Nigerian Law School, Abuja.
Political career and journey
4. He began his political career under the platform of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) and became the SDP chairman of Old Opoi Ward 1 from 1988 to 1998.
5. Ajayi was elected chairman of Ese-Odo local government in 2004, and he served selflessly and meritoriously until 2007.
6. In 2007, Ajayi’s political journey took a dramatic turn, when he was elected to the Federal House of Representatives to represent Ilaje/Ese-Odo federal constituency.
7. He joined the APC and became the running mate of Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, in the November 2016 governorship election.
8. Following irreconcilable issues with his boss, Ajayi resigned his membership from the APC back in June and defected to the PDP.
9. Focused on serving the people of Ondo state, Ajayi left the PDP after failing to get the party's ticket, for ZLP where he was subsequently elected as the party's governorship candidate.
10. He is married to Chief (Mrs) Ajewole Agboola Ajayi JP and they are blessed with children. His hobbies include sports development, traveling, meeting people, and intellectual discourse.
I will conduct free and fair primaries in Ondo - Yahaya Bello | - on Legit TV