- Governor Rotimi Akeredolu says he is confident of winning the Ondo governorship election
- The All Progressives Congress governorship candidate says he is only waiting for INEC to declare him the winner
- The governor made the declaration after casting his vote in his home town
PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75000 or N38000: participate in Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng
Governor Rotimi Akeredolu has declared that he is waiting for his victory to be announced by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
The governor made the declaration after casting his vote alongside his wife at Ward 05, unit 06, Ijebu 2 Owo.
Speaking to journalists after voting, Governor Akeredolu said the thought of not winning has never crossed his mind.
“I don't ever think about that (not winning), so I don't know what will happen. All I know is what will happen when my victory is announced.
“There will be clapping, there will be singing and everybody will be merry. That's all I know.”
Meanwhile, sporadic shooting was witnessed at Pollíng Unit 11, Edo Lodge in Oke Ijebu, Akure, the Ondo state capital as voting commenced early.
Ondo police spokesman, Tee-Lee Ikoro confirmed the incident and said mobile police operatives have been deployed to the scene.
On Twitter, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) says those shooting are thugs from the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), adding that the plan is to scare away voters from the polling unit.
Earlier in the day, the deputy governor of Ondo state and governorship candidate of the Zenith Labour Party, Agboola Ajayi, dismissed social media reports suggesting he has pulled out from the Ondo governorship race.
Parts of a statement signed by the spokesman of the deputy governor, Babatunde Okeowo, read:
“The attention of the deputy governor and candidate of Zenith Labour Party (ZLP), Hon Agboola Ajayi has been drawn to a purported letter withdrawing from today's governorship race.
“This forged document is one of the devious plans of the outgoing government of APC to catch on the popularity of the deputy governor to shore up its dwindling fortune.
“Let the general public and the good people of Ondo state know that the deputy governor is in the race to win and will not withdraw from the race or merge with any of the governorship candidates.”
In a related development, a frontline pro-democracy group, the Centre for Democracy and Development on Thursday, October 8, called on INEC to ensure that results from difficult terrains in Ondo state are collated speedily during the governorship poll.
APC sacks NWC, appoints caretaker committee | Legit TV