FG'll investigate alleged diversion of N2.67bn meant to feed students, says Adamu

FG'll investigate alleged diversion of N2.67bn meant to feed students, says Adamu

- The federal government has ordered for an investigation into the controversial school feeding programme

- The directive was given on behalf of the government by the minister of education, Alhaji Adamu Adamu

- It was reported that the sum of N2.67 billion released for meal subsidies found its way into individual accounts

PAY ATTENTION: Win a prize of N115,000, N75000 or N38000 by participating in the Big Naija Independence contest by Legit.ng

The minister of education, Adamu Adamu, has ordered a full-scale investigation into the alleged diversion of funds meant for a school feeding programme into individual accounts.

The education ministry spokesman, Ben Bem Goong revealed this in a statement on Tuesday, October 6.

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) had earlier reported that the sum of N2.67 billion released to the 104 Unity Colleges during the COVID-19 lockdown for meal subsidies found its way into individual accounts.

EndSARS: Buhari takes major step to crush rising violence across Nigeria
FG'll investigate alleged diversion of N2.67bn meant to feed students, says Adamu

The Buhari administration says it will probe the allegations. Photo credit: @MBuhari
Source: Twitter

Part of the education ministry statement said:

“The investigation is to establish the veracity of the claims to ensure that there is no diversion of public funds or misappropriation of same.
“To this end, the ministry in line with the ministers directive is to collaborate effectively with officials of the ICPC to unearth the facts as well as find a lasting solution to the payment system for meal subsidies that will ensure accountability and transparency.”

Recall that the ICPC had disclosed that it did not accuse the minister of humanitarian affairs, Sadiya Umar Farouq, of diverting monies meant for the home-grown school feeding programme.

A spokesperson for the anti-graft agency, Azuka Ogugua, in a statement on Tuesday, September 29, said reports that implied that ICPC accused the minister of finds diversion were erroneous.

Meanwhile, a non-governmental, non-profit legislative advocacy, information sharing and research organization in Nigeria, Civil Society Legislative Advocacy (CISLAC) has outlined policy responses on how to prevent looting at industrial scale in the country.

This is when ASUU will call-off strike - Good news emerges as body, FG finally agree

Auwal Ibrahim Musa, executive director, CISLAC reeled out the policy responses at a press briefing on Wednesday, September 23 in Abuja.

According to him, the continuous disappearing of Nigerian illicit funds abroad is likely to harm Nigeria in an unprecedented way as the world suffers from global economic depression.

Legit.ng had reported that anti-corruption group, Peering Advocacy and Advancement centre in Africa (PAACA) recently gave a situation report on its monitoring of the implementation of the federal government's school feeding programme in the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

The initiative, with support from Action Aid Nigeria, was geared towards tracking the implementation of the programme and weighing the perception of the people in determining the efficiency of the exercise across the six area councils of the Nigerian capital.

To ensure the effectiveness of the monitoring process, PAACA made use of its community anti-corruption network, after an organized training on how to carry out a survey using a questionnaire and one-on-one interview guide to elicit responses from respondents.

Disregard the report, our website not hacked - EFCC insists

COVID-19: FG kicks off school feeding programme in Abuja | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng News

Online view pixel