- Nigerian state governors have supported the IGP's decision to ban SARS operatives from routine patrols
- The governors who issued a statement via the NGF chairman, Fayemi, also asked the IGP to ensure the ban is enforced
- Meanwhile, the commissioner of police in charge of the SARS operatives said the implementation of the IGP's directive has commenced
The Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF) has backed the decision of the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, to ban the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) and other tactical squads of the force from routine patrols.
The IGP announced the ban amid intense social media campaign against the special squad which has been accused of extrajudicial killings, brutality, and extortion, especially by Nigerian youths.
A statement on Monday, October 5, by the NGF chairman and Ekiti state governor, Kayode Fayemi, indicates the forum said the ban would end the menace of SARS operatives, The Guardian reported.
The governors asked the IGP to enforce the ban to ensure there is no reversal of the atrocities perpetrated by the rogue officers.
Meanwhile, the commissioner of police, Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (FSARS), Imohimi Edgal, has also embarked on measures towards implementing the IGP’s directives.
Edgal said no member of the squad would be issued firearms except for guard duties at the base and to respond to violent crimes.
He stated that all FSARS teams on routine patrols had been withdrawn in compliance with Adamu’s order.
Similarly, the Lagos state commissioner of police, Hakeem Odumosu, has said SARS operatives no longer have the authority to detain suspects in the state.
Odumosu made the disclosure while speaking on Channels Television breakfast show, Sunrise Daily on Tuesday, October 6.
The commissioner of police also said that he held a lecture with the officers to sensitise them on the new directive of the IGP on Monday, October 5.
Young man shares experience with SARS officer | Legit TV