- Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo for the first time in many years finished in disappointing positions in the UEFA best forward award
- The Barcelona star and the Juventus striker failed to win an award in any of the categories
- Messi's Barcelona were humiliated by Bayern Munich while Lyon knocked out Juventus in the round of 16
Lionel Messi and Cristino Ronaldo were way off target when UEFA announced their best forward for the 2019-20 season.
The Barcelona star was ranked fifth with 33 points while the Juventus striker was in the eighth position earning just 18 points.
Bayern Munich Robert Lewandowski was the top marksman in Europe last season scoring 55 goals in all competitions.
And the Poland striker scooped the award ahead of Paris Saint-Germain's Kylian Mbappe and teammate Serge Gnabry.
Borussia Dortmund's Erling Haaland was in fifth place alongside Messi as the most decorated German footballer Thomas Muller and Ronaldo were ranked seventh and eighth, respectively.
PSG's Angel Di Maria and Liverpool's Sadio Mne completed the top ten places in the UEFA Foward of the Year 2019-20.
Here is how they finished in the rankings:
1. Robert Lewandowski (Bayern Munich) - 361 points
2. Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain) - 72 points
3. Neymar (Paris Saint-Germain) - 62 points
4. Serge Gnabry (Bayern Munich) - 46 points
5. Erling Haaland (Red Bull Salzburg/Borussia Dortmund) - 33 points
5. Lionel Messi (Barcelona) - 33 points
7. Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich) - 29 points
8. Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus) -18 points
9. Angel Di Maria (Paris Saint-Germain) - 9 points
10. Sadio Mane (Liverpool) - 8 points
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had earlier reported that Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi has broken his silence on his viral online rant against his club in the wake of the departure of his long-time teammate and friend Luis Suarez.
Suarez unceremoniously left the Nou Camp to join Barcelona’s La Liga rivals Atletico Madrid on a two-year deal.
His exit came amid reports new Barca manager Ronald Koeman had made it clear the Uruguay international was surplus to requirements at the club, something which Messi did not take very kindly.
We haven't gotten the houses FG promised us in 1994 - Siasia raises alarm | Legit TV