- Sergino Dest becomes the first player to join Barcelona after Ronald Koeman's arrival
- The defender sealed a five-year deal valued around £23.5m with the Catalans
- Dest featured for his previous club 35 times in all competitions after making his debut with them in 2019
Sergino Dest has completed a five-year move to Barcelona from Ajax in a deal valued around £23.5 million days before the transfer window shuts.
The 19-year-old became Ronald Koeman's first signing since he replaced Quique Setien after the club's 8-2 humiliation in the hands of Bayern Munich.
Barca were said to have signed the defender for an initial fee of about £19m, however, it is expected to rise by a further £4.5m depending on variables as reported by Daily Mail and ESPN.
Meanwhile, after completing his move to the Nou Camp, the Blaugrana have put a £363m release clause in his deal - meaning any club who wants his services must trigger the clause.
The new arrival will don the jersey number two previously worn by legendary Dani Alves before his move away from the Catalan club.
Dest was said to have agreed to Barcelona switch owing to the former Dutch national team boss' interest in him.
Reports reveal the 57-year-old tried convincing Dest to commit international future to the Oranje Boys but the youngster rather chose the United States having played at youth level for them.
Barcelona will present their newest signing to the fans on Friday, October 2, and Koeman is confident the player will add quality to his squad.
"I have no doubt that he will be a very useful player for Barca."
Dest's arrival was necessitated after Nelson Semedo joined Premier League outfit Wolverhampton Wanderers earlier this window.
The Catalans are also trying to rebuild their squad after shambolic displays in the last few seasons.
Apart from Semedo, Luis Suarez, Ivan Rakitic and Arturo Vidal have also parted ways with the Spanish team.
Daily Mail reports that Dest made his debut for Ajax last year and went ahead to make 35 appearances in all competitions.
Legit.ng earlier reported that Rafinha may likely go the way of Luis Suarez as ruthless Barcelona manager, Ronald Koeman has reportedly told the Brazilian to go in search for another club.
The Barcelona boss had earlier told some players including Arturo Vidal, Ivan Rakitic, Samuel Umtiti, Luis Suarez that they were not in his plans and three out of four of them have already left.
Koeman who replaced former manager Quique Setien has been mandated to revamp the squad, as well as reduce their wage bill and now, the latest player that is affected is the 27-year-old midfielder.
I still don't have the €250,000 I need for my FIFA ban appeal - Samson Siasia | Legit TV