- Delta state primary and secondary schools can now resume, according to the state government
- The government also waived 2nd term examinations for pupils in primaries 1 - 3
- Meanwhile, all nursery/pre-primary KG 1 to 3 pupils will wait till next year before they can resume
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
As cases of coronavirus continue to decline in Nigeria, Delta has also joined states that have reopened their educational sector.
The state governor, Ifeanyi Okowa, has consequently approved the reopening of primary and secondary schools in the state.
This according to the governor is to help students and schools complete the 2019/2020 academic session and also start of the 2020/2021 academic year.
This was disclosed in a statement signed by the state commissioner for Basic and Secondary Education, Patrick Ukah, on Wednesday, September 23.
He said that JSS 1 and JSS 2 students and their counterparts in SSS 1 and SSS 2 will resume on Monday, September 28, to enable them to commence their 2nd term examinations which will be concluded on October 9.
According to him, primaries 4 and 5 pupils will resume on October 5 in order for them to write their 2nd term examinations which will also be concluded on October 9.
Going further, he added that the 2nd term examinations will be waived for pupils in primaries 1 - 3, while boarding students will resume on Sunday, September 27.
Here is a break down of the resumption plans:
- Monday, October 12 - Resumption date for the 1st term 2020/2021 academic session for all pupils and students in primary and secondary schools.
- December 18 - End of school activities
- January 4, 2021 - Resumption for 2nd term
- March 31, 2021 - End of 2nd term
- April 12 - 3rd term commences
- August 13, 2021 - 3rd term ends.
The government added that the long duration for the term is to give sufficient time to cover rolled over content from the last session, inter-house sports, and mid-term break which are not applicable to other terms.
He added that the resumption for all nursery/pre-primary KG 1 to 3 pupils has been deferred to January 2021 and advised parents and guardians to avail themselves of the resumption dates to prepare their children and wards.
Recall that Legit.ng had reported that Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo approved the reopening of all primary and secondary schools in the state.
This was contained in a statement by his commissioner for education, Jimoh Ijegbai, who said the 2020/2021 academic session will kickstart on Monday, September 28.
He, however, directed that JSS 1-3 students should resume classes between 8am and 11am, while the SSS 1-3 students enter classes between 12pm and 3pm.
SPECIAL REPORT: Analyzing readiness of schools, teachers, parents ahead of resumption | - on Legit TV