Following the death of the Emir of Zazzau, Alhaji Shehu Idris, on Sunday, September, 20, the race to pick another emir to succeed him has begun in earnest, according to a Daily Trust report.
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
The report listed some criteria which are commonly considered in selecting the Emir of Zazzau. These include:
1. Being a prince from the recognised dynasties in the Emirate and a district head with territory under his control
2. Character of the eligible contestants
3. The Decision of the kingmakers
4. The final decision of the state government, in this case, the Nasir El-Rufai-led government
Legit.ng gathers that the Zazzau Emirate has five kingmakers who will play a crucial role in deciding who becomes the next emir.
The three major dynasties of the Zazzau emirate presenting candidates
Just in: Zazzau kingmakers announce 3 candidates for emir position as El-Rufai picks new monarch (full list, photo)
1. Gidan Katsinawa
2. Gidan Bare-Bari
3. Gidan Mallawa,
Daily Trust noted that the fourth dynasty, Sullubawa produced no candidate.
Possible contenders: Katsinawa dynasty
1. Turakin Zazzau, Alhaji Aminu Shehu Idris, the eldest son of the late emir and staff of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).
Other eligible contenders from the Katsinawa dynasty:
2. Wamban Zazzau, Alhaji Abdulkareem Aminu
3. Iyan Zazzau, Alhaji Bashar Aminu
Other sons of the late emir who are also eligible contenders:
4. Sarkin Dawakin Tsakar Gida Zazzau
5. Alhaji Ibrahim Shehu Idris
6. Sarkin Kudun Zazzau, Barrister Sambo Shehu Idris,
7. Uban Garin Zazzau, Alhaji Basiru Shehu Idris
8. Dan Isan Zazzau, Alhaji Umaru Shehu Idris
9. Walin Gabas Zazzau, Alhaji Mai Nasara Shehu Idris
10. Danmajen Zazzau, Alhaji Nasiru Shehu Idris
11. Danruwata Babba Zazzau, Alhaji Bello Shehu Idris
12. Sadaukin Zazzau, Alhaji Yusuf Shehu Idris
1. Alhaji Munir Jafaru, Yariman Zazzau, a retired public servant who once served as the managing director of the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA). He is the District Head of Basawa.
The Mallawa dynasty
1. Alhaji Ahmad Nuhu Bamalli, the titleholder of Magajin Garin Zazzau. He is Nigeria’s immediate past Ambassador to Thailand
2. Alhaji Sa’idu Mailafiya, Ciroman Zazzau
3. Alhaji Hassan Tijjani, and Barden Kudun Zazzau
Daily Trust noted that if the Kaduna state government includes being a district as head as a criterium, only two princes will be eligible among the contenders: Yariman Zazzau, Alhaji Munir Jafaru, District Head of Basawa, from the Bare-Bari dynasty and Wamban Zazzau, Alhaji Abdulkareem Aminu, District Head of Giwa, from the Katsinawa dynasty.
Kaduna govt declares 3-day mourning, public holiday for late Emir of Zazzau
Earlier, Legit.ng reported that the Kaduna state government has declared three days mourning for the late emir of Zazzau, Alhaji Shehu Idris.
This was disclosed by Governor Nasir El-Rufai's media aide, Muyiwa Adekeye, in a statement released on Monday, September 21.
According to the media aide, public offices in the northern state will open as normal on Monday, September 21 and Tuesday, September 22 but there will be a public holiday on Wednesday, September 23.
Lamido Sanusi: Kano residents react to the arrival of Ado Bayero | Legit TV