Georginio Wijnaldum and Memphis Depay: Barcelona barred from signing Dutch duo

Georginio Wijnaldum and Memphis Depay: Barcelona barred from signing Dutch duo

- Georginio Wijnaldum and Memphis Depay might not be able to join Barcelona this summer

- Both Dutch stars are heavily wanted by Barca new boss Ronald Koeman

- The Catalans will not be able to make signings unless they sell according to new rules set by La Liga organisers due to COVID-19

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

Barcelona have reportedly been barred from signing the duo of Dutch stars Georginio Wijnaldum and Memphis Depay anytime soon.

The Catalans' new boss Ronald Koeman has made both players his top targets as he continues to rebuild the team after their 8-2 humiliation in the Champions League last campaign.

This sent shivers to the spine of Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp who hopes to keep Wijnaldum as the Reds defend the Premier League title they won last campaign.

Read also

Panic at Camp Nou as Barcelona dare Lionel Messi for 1 major reason this transfer window

Meanwhile, SunSport quoting Sunday Mirror reports that Liverpool can now heave a sigh of relief, saying they can keep their title-winning man.

PAY ATTENTION: Become a member of the leading sports Facebook group 'Naija Football Fan Zone'

Spanish League organisers are said to have introduced strict guidelines for clubs after the negative impacts of deadly coronavirus.

Georginio Wijnaldum and Memphis Depay: Barcelona barred from signing Dutch duo
Georginio Wijnaldum and Memphis Depay heavily wanted by Barcelona new boss Koeman - Getty Images
Source: Getty Images

What this means is that the Blaugrana will have to sell players to raise funds for new signings despite having a staggering £510 million-a-year wage bill

The reports added that they must also pay the same amount as the transfer fee to the Spanish government as part of financial support placed on clubs during the global pandemic.

Spanish league's director of communications, Joris Evers said: "We have a financial system, which goes beyond Uefa’s Financial Fair Play.

"At UEFA they look at figures when a season is finished, we set the standards before the season starts. "If Barcelona try to do a deal behind the scenes, our analysts will notice this immediately.

Read also

Koeman finally reveals who was responsible for Luis Suarez's exit from Barcelona

"The clubs agreed on this system as a reaction on a period when they were struggling to pay the wages of the players because they'd overspent time and time again. Nobody wants to go back to that situation."

Barcelona are said to have lost about £300 million due to the pandemic in the last six months with players asked to take pay cuts.

Legit.ng earlier reported that Barcelona cruised to third straight win under new boss Ronald Koeman following their 1-0 victory over Elche in the earlier this weekend.

French World Cup winner Antoine Griezmann scored the only goal of the encounter just two minutes after kick-off.

The 29-year-old made a superb run to connect with a Jordi Alba's cross from the left-wing before tapping the ball beyond Edgar Badia's reach.

How we mistakenly celebrated Yakubu’s miss at 2010 World Cup – Brown Ideye | Legit TV

Read also

Panic as top Premier League club wants another Barcelona star after Suarez joined Atletico Madrid

Source: Legit

Online view pixel