Ondo 2020: Jegede says campaign attack an assassination attempt on his life

Ondo 2020: Jegede says campaign attack an assassination attempt on his life

- Ondo PDP governorship candidate Jegede has accused APC supporters of attempting to kill him

- Both supporters of the PDP and the APC allegedly clashed on Wednesday, with many sustaining injuries and several vehicles burnt

- Jegede, however, claimed that the clash was an attempt to assassinate him, adding that he has formally reported to the state's police commissioner

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

The governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Eyitayo Jegede, has spoken after the clash between members of his party and the All Progressives Congress (APC) on Wednesday, September 16.

The Nation reported that Jegede claimed the clash which happened in Oba Akoko, Akoko South West local government, was as an assassination attempt on his life.

The PDP governorship candidate said 15 vehicles in his convoy were destroyed while some of his supporters sustained injuries.

Why I defected back to PDP - Former governor who left APC opens up, gives reason
Ondo 2020: Jegede says campaign attack an assassination attempt on his life

Ondo 2020: Jegede says campaign attack an assassination attempt on his life. Photo credit: Eyitayo Jegede
Source: Twitter

Legit.ng gathers that Jegede made this known at a press conference in Akure, adding that the attack was a manifestation of an earlier threat by a chieftain of the APC whose name he did not mention.

He said the attempt was to weaken his campaigns, adding that he has formally reported to the state's police commissioner.

Jegede said he called Governor Rotimi Akeredolu whom he said expressed shock at the event, and promised to investigate the incident.

The PDP candidate said he got security approval to campaign in the Akoko area and no other political party was expected to be in that area.

He said: “15 vehicles were destroyed. I reported this formally to the police commissioner. This is a clear case of an attempt on my life. I have not seen this desperation."

“You can see a long convoy of the governor openly displaying arms. If anything happens to me the public knows who to hold responsible. I am not in this game because I am desperate but to free the people from pains and poverty."

BREAKING: Former Delta governor Uduaghan returns to PDP after 2 years in APC

The PDP governorship candidate said he stopped the campaign to avoid further violence.

However, the spokesman for the Akeredolu/Aiyedatiwa Campaign Organisation, Olabode Olatunde, also accused the PDP supporters of attacking APC members.

He claimed it was the hoodlums of Jegede that attacked the campaign convoy of Governor Akeredolu while they were on their way to Ikare-Akoko, in continuation of the local government rally

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the deputy governor of Ondo state, Ajayi Agboola, has accused his boss, Governor Akeredolu, of frustrating his gubernatorial campaign.

Agboola is contesting the position of the Ondo state chief executive under the Zenith Labour Party, having failed to get the ticket of the PDP.

In a statement issued by his spokesman, Allen Sowore, the deputy governor said his party was denied access to using a government facility to flag off his campaign.

Ondo election: APC sends warning message to Wike, says Akeredolu will win without rigging

I will conduct free and fair primaries in Ondo - Yahaya Bello | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng News

Online view pixel