- Resident doctors have suspended nationwide strike it embarked upon
- The nationwide strike was suspended on Thursday, September after the doctors met with the FG
- Aliyu Sokumba, the president of NARD, said the union would review the progress made in talks with the federal government in two weeks
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
Following a meeting and agreement reached with the federal government, the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has suspended the nationwide industrial action.
Legit.ng reports that the president of NARD, Aliyu Sokumba, made the confirmation which speaking to Channels TV on the evening of Thursday, September 10.
Sokumba disclosed that the union would review the progress made in talks with the federal government in two weeks.
The federal government and the doctors had on Wednesday, September 9, reached an agreement in a bid to end the industrial action.
NARD had disclosed during the meeting that it would liaise with the executive council with a view to calling off the strike.
The report said that both parties had been in talks to resolve the issues which led to NARD declaring an end to the country-wide strike.
After the meeting, the federal said an additional N8.9 billion has been approved to pay up a large chunk of the June 2020 COVID-19 allowance to all health workers across the nation,
The new development was revealed by the minister of labour and employment, Chris Ngige, during the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
Ngige stated that the implementation of the payment of the Special Hazard and Inducement Allowance has been concluded, stressing that this has been cash-backed and the mandate sent to the Central Bank of Nigeria for payments to start with effect from September 9.
The minister said this would bring the total disbursement by the federal government to about N288 billion.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that COVID-19, claimed the life of Clement Bakam, a medical doctor in Kaduna state.
It was reported that Bakam's death was announced in a statement released on Wednesday, September 2, by Abdulsalam Abdulrazak, the public relations officer of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) in Kaduna.
Nigerians will die of hunger than COVID-19 | - on Legit TV