- The presidency has reeled out names of completed and ongoing projects by the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government
- Lauretta Onochie, a media aide to the president, gave the list on Twitter on Monday, September 7
- Among projects listed are the construction of second Niger Bridge and rehabilitation of sections 1 to 4 of the Enugu–Port Harcourt expressway
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
After being confronted with questions over President Muhammadu Buhari's achievements in the last five years, the presidency has reeled-out names of projects completed and ongoing by the current government.
In what started like another social media flare-up, Mustapha Bulama, a Daily Trust cartoonist and journalist, asked Twitter users to mention major projects done by the Buhari-led government.
In a swift response, Lauretta Onochie, an aide to the president on social media, gave a list of projects and infrastructure completed and under construction by the Buhari government.
The projects listed by Onochie are:
1. Rehabilitation of Sections 1 to 4 of the Enugu–Port Harcourt Expressway (Sukuk Bond) ongoing
2. Rehabilitation of Amansea–Enugu Border section of Onitsha-Enugu Expressway-Ongoing.
3. Rehabilitation of 18km critical stretch of Onitsha–Awka Road (ongoing).
4a. Construction of Second Niger Bridge: Completed design of the Approach Roads from Onitsha and Asaba; Award of Main Construction Contract to Julius Berger; and funding of the project by the Presidential Infrastructure Development Fund, PIDF.
4b. In August 2018 PIDF paid 33 billion Naira (US$90 million) to Julius Berger for the Second Niger Bridge project. (ongoing).
5. Rehabilitation of Arochukwu–Ohafia–Bende Road (ongoing)
6. Ariaria Market Electrification Project (The Federal Government is implementing its Energizing Economies Programme, which will bring stable and reliable electricity to all the 37,000 shops in Ariaria Market, by providing the Market with a gas-powered IPP).
7. Energizing Education Programme is being implemented in Fed Uni, Ebonyi and Nnamdi Azikwe Uni, Awka, Anambra. The Programme will provide these Universities with an Independent Power Plant, as well as upgrade existing distribution infrastructure, and also provide street-lighting.
8. Completed Ikot Ekpene – Alaoji – Ugwuaji Switching Station and Transmission Line.
9. Construction of Modern Medical Diagnostic Centre at the Federal Medical Centre, Umuahia (FMCU).
10. Completed Nnamdi Azikiwe Mausoleum (contract originally awarded in 1996, abandoned at various times, Buhari Administration revived the project in 2016, and completed it in 2018).
11. Enyimba City Special Economic Zone: Definitive Agreements signed between Federal Government, Abia State Government and Enyimba City Development Company Limited on December 7, 2018 - (Ongoing).
12. Presidential Fertilizer Initiative – has led to the revival of the Ebonyi State Fertiliser and Chemical Company Limited (EFCCL), creating jobs and boosting the supply of fertilizer in the Southeast.
13. Social Investment Programme: 68,000 N-Power Beneficiaries across the 5 States of the South East; the School Feeding Programme has kicked off in all 5 States of the Southeast.
14. Pensions paid to Retired War-Affected (Ex-Biafran) Police: In 2017, the Buhari Administration paid 500 million Naira to clear pensions arrears that had not been paid since their presidential pardon in 2000.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng reported that Onochie faulted a report which claimed that a presidential aide tested positive for COVID-19.
The report which was published on Tuesday, September 1, had alleged that the president’s senior special assistant on domestic affairs, Sarki Abba contracted the coronavirus.
RevolutionNow: Nigerians protest in Abuja, ask for better governance | Legit TV