- US government has opted out of WHO-linked global coronavirus vaccine effort
- This was disclosed by Secretary Pompeo on Thursday, September 3, in a tweet
- Pompeo said the WHO failed to adopt urgently needed reforms
PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!
A report by NBC news indicates that the administration of President Donald Trump is pulling US officials from the headquarters of the World Health Organization (WHO) despite the rising cases of coronavirus pandemic in the United States.
The US will not be a part of the WHO-led plan to distribute a vaccine known as COVAX globally.
Legit.ng gathered that the US officially announced its withdrawal from the WHO this summer, initiating a year-long process that would not go into effect until a year later on July 6, 2021.
The report said the State Department announced on Thursday, September 3, that the US is already beginning to scale down its engagement, including "recalling the department of Health and Human Services (HHS) detailees from WHO headquarters, regional offices, and country offices, and reassigning these experts."
"Today, the @realDonaldTrump Administration continues to move forward with the United States' withdrawal from the @WHO. The WHO failed to adopt urgently needed reforms, starting with demonstrating its independence from the Chinese Communist Party." Secretary Pompeo tweeted on Thursday, September 3.
The US participation in WHO meetings, according to the report, would now be considered "on a case by case basis," Nerissa Cook, a deputy assistant secretary of state for international organization affairs, told reporters Wednesday, September 2.
The assistant administrator for global health for the US Agency for International Development, Alma Golden, said the administration would continue to make voluntary contributions to the WHO for specific programs, including $68 million for humanitarian health assistance in Libya and Syria as well as polio eradication in priority countries and $40 million for immunization and influenza programmes.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng had previously reported that Trump came hard on the presidential nominee of the Democratic Party, Joe Biden, with a few months to the country's 2020 presidential election scheduled for November.
It was reported that Trump, who spoke in an interview on Monday, August 31, with Fox News journalist Laura Ingraham, said Biden was being controlled by people from "the dark shadows."
4 implications of Trump’s ban on Nigerians from the USA | - on Legit TV