Top international criminal court officials sanctioned by United States of America

Top international criminal court officials sanctioned by United States of America

- The US has announced sanctions against senior ICC officials carrying out investigations into war crimes in Afganistan

- Officials sanctioned by the US include ICC's chief prosecutor and director of jurisdiction, complementary, and cooperation division

- The country alleged that the judicial body attempts to target Americans

PAY ATTENTION: Click “See First” under the “Following” tab to see Legit.ng News on your Facebook News Feed!

A report by BBC News indicates that top officials of the International Criminal Court (ICC) including chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda have been sanctioned by the United States of America.

Mike Pompeo, the US Secretary of State who made the announcement on Wednesday, September 3, accused the judicial body of "illegitimate attempts to subject Americans to its jurisdiction".

Though Pompeo did not give any specific reasons for the move, he added that Phakiso Mochochoko, ICC director of jurisdiction, complementary, and cooperation division was among officials sanctioned.

N10 billion fraud allegation: IGP orders probe of Udom’s appointee

Back in June, United States President Donald Trump issued an executive order which allows the country to block ICC employees' assets as well as restricting them from entering the US.

Top International criminal court officials sanctioned by US

International Criminal Court (ICC) chief prosecutor Fatou Bensouda. Photo credit: Reuters/UGC
Source: UGC

Pompeo went on to explain that Bensouda and Mochochoko were to be sanctioned under this order.

The issuance of visas for ICC staff involved in investigating US personnel has also been restricted by the US state department.

He also said those who continued to support the individuals' risk being sanctioned as well.

Balkees Jarrah, a senior counsel at Human Rights Watch, in reaction to the sanctions condemned the move.

Jarrah in a tweet on Wednesday, September 2, said America's action is a shameful new low for the country's commitments to justice for victims of the worst crimes.

Earlier, Legit.ng reported that the United States of America and the ICC were at loggerheads over a recent move by the judicial body to investigate alleged war crimes reportedly committed by all sides during the prosecution of the war in Afghanistan.

Kogi guber: Huge number of APC aspirants is due to my efforts, says Gov Bello

The ICC's decision has angered the Donald Trump administration, which has unleashed both economic and legal offensive against the court.

PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!

In other news, the ICC had earlier disclosed that it was investigating allegations of possible war crimes and crimes against humanity in some clashes in Nigeria.

The cases listed by the ICC include the clash between Nigerian soldiers and members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN) and the clash between the Nigerian soldiers and a proscribed separationist group from the southeast, IPOB.

This is covered in the international court's 2019 annual report. The report stated that the potential cases being investigated in Nigeria has increased from eight to 10.

Seven of the 10 cases have to do with the Boko Haram insurgency while the remaining three bordered on Nigerian security agencies.

Top interesting facts about the Mueller report

Nigeria mourns George Floyd | Legit TV

Source: Legit.ng

Online view pixel