- Lionel Messi’s quest to leave Spanish club Barcelona could end up in the courts
- The situation in Camp Nou has escalated; with Barcelona threatening to drag the player to court
Lionel Messi’s debacle at Camp Nou has taken a new turn as Barcelona have stated that should the Argentine go ahead to seal a stunning transfer deal with Manchester City, both parties would be dragged to court.
The situation in Spain has escalated as the Catalan club vows to begin legal proceedings with any club that signs the Argentine amid row over exit clause.
Messi stunned the football world last week when he tendered a transfer request as he hopes to activate a clause in his contract that allows him to leave for free at the end of any season.
Barcelona claimed that the clause had expired on June 10 and that the player must pay the £629million buy-out clause if he intends to leave – the La Liga are also backing the Barcelona board.
UK outlet Daily Record reported that the Argentine captain has agreed to move to the Etihad Stadium in a deal worth €700 million (£629 million) with the City Football Group - the same amount as his release clause.
Messi was said to have agreed to the financial terms over the course of five years that will see him under employ of the City Football Group.
It stipulates that Messi will play at Premier League club Manchester City for three years and then another two years at Major League Soccer side, New York City F,C also a franchise of the City Football Group.
It will also enable the group's Abu Dhabi ownership to employ the multiple Ballon d'Or winner as they have wanted him since buying into European football 12 years ago.
Reports also say that Messi will also be given an equity stake in the group as part of his compensation package.
The player’s father Jorge arrived the city on Wednesday morning, September 2, and he is expected to meet the club chiefs including president Josep Bartomeu to find a way to resolve the issue.
"Currently it's a mess at Barcelona, so many strange things happening, it's chaos," Barcelona star Frankie de Jong told Fox Sports
"He's still in the group chat, I'm not someone who talks about it with him, I'm sure he has many people around him doing that these days."
Legit.ng earlier reported that Van de Beek is inching closer to joining Premier League club Manchester United having completed his medical in Netherlands.
The £40million transfer will see the Dutchman become United's first major summer signing.
How we mistakenly celebrated Yakubu’s miss at 2010 World Cup – Brown Ideye | Legit TV