Many may argue whether fishing is a sport or a hobby, but one thing is for certain, the activity is quite enjoyable. A Saturday spent fishing will leave you feeling relaxed and ready to tackle the following week. Here are some amazing fishing quotes that will help you appreciate the activity.
Check out this well-compiled list of fishing sayings and phrases. These quotes will help you appreciate the activity and they can be used as slogans by this activity's enthusiasts.
Inspirational fishing quotes
Here are the most popular quotes about fishing.
- Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau
- If fishing is a religion, fly fishing is high church. - Tom Brokaw
- If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there’d be a shortage of fishing poles. - Doug Larson
- I thoroughly enjoy getting away from the game and going out fishing because it's so relaxing, so quiet and peaceful. I mean, there's no noise other than nature - and it's so different from what I do in a tournament situation that it just eases my mind. - Tiger Woods
- If your concentration is getting bad, take up bass fishing. It will really improve your ability to focus. If you aren't ready when that fish hits, you can't set the hook.
- Fishing is a discipline in the equality of men – for all men are equal before fish.
- There are two types of fisherman – those who fish for sport and those who fish for fish.
- Do not tell fish stories where the people know you. Particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. - Mark Twain
- Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers. - Herbert Hoover
- Govern a family as you would cook a small fish--very gently. - Chinese proverb
- Sell a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man how to fish, you ruin a wonderful business opportunity. - Karl Marx
- Be patient and calm—for no one can catch fish in anger. - Herbert Hoover
- Some people will just never understand us, fishing isn’t just a pass time or a sport, it’s a way of life. Don’t mess with my way of life!
- The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
- Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. - Ernest Hemingway
- There are always new places to go fishing. For any fisherman, there's always a new place, always a new horizon. - Jack Nicklaus
- There is no limit to how many times you can go fishing.
- Most of the world is covered by water. A fisherman's job is simple: Pick out the best parts. - Charles Waterman
- If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.- Zane Grey
- Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee. They went forth, and entered into a ship immediately; and that night they caught nothing. - John 21:3 (Holy Bible)
- I’ve gone fishing thousands of times in my life, and I have never once felt unlucky or poorly paid for those hours on the water.
- Many of the most highly publicized events of my presidency are not nearly as memorable or significant in my life as fishing with my daddy. - Jimmy Carter
- It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. - John Steinbeck.
- Good things come to those who bait.
- I fish because I love to . . . because I love the environs where trout are found . . . because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip . . . and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant and not nearly so much fun. - Robert Traver
- You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something. - Mitch Hedberg
- If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -Doug Larson
- The fish and I were both stunned and disbelieving to find ourselves connected by a line. - William Humphrey in “The Armchair Angler”
- Fishing is a discipline in the equality of men – for all men are equal before fish. - Herbert Hoover
- Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God. - Tony Blake
- I've managed to convince my wife that somewhere in the Bible it says, 'Man cannot have too many shotguns and fishing poles. - Norman Schwarzkopf
- Game fish are too valuable to be caught only once. - Lee Wulff
- Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. - Paul Schullery
- All Americans believe that they are born fishermen. For a man to admit a distaste for fishing would be like denouncing mother-love or hating moonlight. - John Steinbeck
- If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business. - Sparse Grey Hackle (Alfred W. Miller)
- There are only two occasions when Americans respect privacy, especially in Presidents. Those are prayer and fishing. - Herbert Hoover
- To him, all good things—trout as well as eternal salvation—come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy. - Norman Maclean (author, A River Runs Through It)
- Lots of people committed crimes during the year who would not have done so if they had been fishing. The increase of crime is among those deprived of the regenerations that impregnate the mind and character of the fisherman. - Herbert Hoover
- Angling may be said to be so like the mathematics that it can never be fully learned. - Izaak Walton
- The best time to go fishing is when you can get away. - Robert Traver
Funny fishing quotes
These funny quotations about fishing will definitely crack you up:
- A woman, who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn’t know what a patient man she married!
- Creeps and idiots cannot conceal themselves for long on a fishing trip. -John Gierach
- I got a fishing rod for my wife – good trade.
- A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office!
- Early to bed…early to rise…fish all day…make up lies
- To fish or not to fish? That’s a dumb question.
- I spent most of my money on fishing. The rest I wasted.
- Life is like a game, but fishing is serious.
- Give a man a fish; he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will find bait in the fridge.
- Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. - Patrick McManus
- The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad. - A.K. Best.
- Work is for people who don’t know how to fish!
- Even a fish wouldn’t get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.
- ‘Gone fishin’, be back at dark-thirty!
- Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
- Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.
- My biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. - Koos Brandt
- There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot. -Steven Wright
If you are looking for something other than fisherman quotes, then you are in luck. Here are some amazing slogans that you can use as your fishing status:
- Something feels fishy
- Get the bait
- Let’s go fishing
- Wish to go fishing
- A moment for trout
- Bait the bigger fish
- Fishing is for the cool
- Hook up
- I’d rather be fishing
- Every day is for fishing
- Fishing is more than a game. It’s an emotion
- Do you guys fish on the weekend? Life is too short for that!
- For the love of fishing
- Still got the fishing
- Only legends do fishing
- Meet you after fishing
- Fishing is the best therapy
- I’d rather fish than go for work
- Catch today for dinner tonight
These amazing fishing quotes prove how interesting the activity is. If you enjoy this hobby, tell us - which among these sayings resonates the most with you? Let us know in the comment section below.
READ ALSO: DJ Cuppy goes fishing in Monaco, reveals she's a vegetarian (photo)
Legit.ng recently reported that musician DJ Cuppy said that she does not believe in killing and eating fish.
The musician is living her best life in the beautiful city of Monaco and she is showing it off online. As part of her fun activities, she recently went fishing but it does not seem like she loved the experience as she stated that her first fishing adventure would be her last as she is a vegetarian and it is against her belief to kill and eat fish.